onoroff offoron?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook using mac os x. 10.5.4
Hi All. So I chatted to Apple Support about my problem with random shut downs of my Mac book, and after a number of resets and running the battery power up and down; I think, (touching wood and fingers crossed, and another sacrifice on the alter to the Apple Mac guardian angels), the problem has been resolved. I was advised that the battery has a memory and needs to be trained. Though I am now totally paranoid, and watch my Mac Book suspiciously for another random shutdown every time the screen saver clicks in or the set drops into sleep mode. I received advise to have the power adaptor switched on only to charge the battery, and once done to switch it off and run only on battery. I had been laboring under the illusion that the power adaptor should be on as much as possible. Also that the Mac book should only be shut down as little as possible, but my paranoia will not let me leave it on over night. Clutching my lucky rabbits foot, I now run the Mac book on battery all the time except to recharge, and I sleep easy, with my Mac Book switched off for each night. Has anyone received advice to the contrary, or am I now a true Mac Driver?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know who at Apple support gave you advice to leave your MacBook running on battery all the time and only use the AC adaptor to charge it. In my opinion, it certainly is not good advice if you use your MacBook at home most of the time.

I currently use my MacBook as a desktop replacement and keep it on AC power most of the time. However, I exercise the battery at least once per month in accordance with the advice Apple has given to maintain maximum battery efficiency. I have done basically the same thing with my Toshiba notebook PC and its battery is still very functional after 3 years.

Certainly no harm can come to the machine by running it on battery power all the time but consider this: You're going to be replacing that battery very soon, much faster than normal. I'm sure that a new battery is not an inexpensive item in Ireland. I would get a second opinion from someone else at Apple. :\

Regards.

OP
jordache
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook using mac os x. 10.5.4
Hi chscag, Thanks for the reply, and that is exactly what I thought with regards to the ac adaptor, currently I'm getting about 4 to 5 hours on battery only, and battery costs here in the Emerald Isle, bought through a UK supplier would run about £80, not good for regular replacement. The original advice I received on getting this Macbook was to run it on battery power maybe once or twice a month, but that from a guy running a laptop using a different operating system. Guess I need some more advice, not a dead battery through over work. Is it possible to overcharge a battery on this system? Now there is fuel for my paranoia!!!
Jordache

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.