memory upgrade question

Reaction score
I have a 2gb macbook pro and want to upgrade to 4gb. I've read other similar posts but i dont see one that addresses my question. My MBP comes with (2) 1gb sticks of RAM. If i want to upgrade to 4gb, does it matter if i get a single 2gb stick added on or should i get (2) 1gb sticks like the original setup. Does it matter? Not sure how many slots there are. Perhaps i should just get (2) 2gb and replace the old ones altogether.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Mac2nite,

You can add a single 2GB stick to one of your present 1GB sticks for a new total of 3 GB (one 1GB stick not used), but not a large gain from 2 to 3GB... If you want 4GB, you'll have to buy a new 4GB set (2x2GB sticks) and put the 2 1GB sticks away or sell them. Go to Newegg or Crucial or Kingston and you'll get what you need.

Noel

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Also note that some versions of the MacBook Pro have a maximum capacity of 2GB or 3GB, depending on the revision.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks Noels, i will take your advice and get the 4gb kit (2 x 2GB).

As noted above, make sure that your MacBook Pro is actually capable of being upgraded to 4GB - not all are. In fact, it's only been the last 2 revisions that can go beyond 3GB. If you want to be sure, use the Memory Adviser at http://www.crucial.com.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks cwa107. I did the scan and it does indeed support up to 4GB. Thanks for the heads-up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.