Trackpad no more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerboook G4 17" 1.67GHz 512MB ram, iPod 60GB, iPod shuffle
this happened to me a couple of times and thought i ask here to see if anyone else experience the same problem.

well, using my ibook as usual. browsing the webpage using my trackpad.
then suddenly my pointer would simply refuse to budge. sometimes it may be because i have accidentally rest my palm on the trackpad and this would confuse it as the trackpad is darn big. but no. with one finger, i would move round the trackpad and nothing happens.

i thought, ah, not another freeze! but now i make it a habit to see my clock. i enabled the dispay of seconds. wait a minute, i see the seconds running. so it didn't freeze. took out my usb optical mouse and plugged it in. i can move the pointer now.

so, my point is, is this a hardware problem or is it my ibook is f**ked?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The trackpads on the iBook are a bit crap IMO, mine never works brilliantly and several people here have sent their 'books in to have them fixed.

I don't use the trackpad much anyway, but if yours is really *ucked maybe you should send it in too...

OP
minus182
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
maybe i'll send it in if my trackpad fails on me again. the thing is, i cant find any specific trigger to which "disables" my trackpad.
Also, I don't wanna get into the habit of plugging in my USB mouse as i tried that a couple of times, yes, it wokrs normally but if I were to shutdown my ibook with the mouse plugged in and leave plugged in when i boot it up again, chances are, i would most likely get kernel panic.
so much problems makes me wanna buy a powerbook. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
minus182 said:
maybe i'll send it in if my trackpad fails on me again. the thing is, i cant find any specific trigger to which "disables" my trackpad.
Also, I don't wanna get into the habit of plugging in my USB mouse as i tried that a couple of times, yes, it wokrs normally but if I were to shutdown my ibook with the mouse plugged in and leave plugged in when i boot it up again, chances are, i would most likely get kernel panic.
so much problems makes me wanna buy a powerbook. :)
Wow, I use my USB mouse all the time and have never had a kernel panic resulting from it, that's not normal...

Maybe you should do a reinstallation if that is happening...

I enjoy using the iBook a lot more with an external mouse, maybe give it a shot!?

OP
minus182
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah. giving my headaches.
but i can live with that.
i tried reinstalling once, it freeze. and had a kernel panic too.
strange.
i replaced the mobo once and the logic board bout 3-4 times.
don't know what the problem is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.