Selling MBA, how do I reformat/clear contents? Thanks!!

Reaction score
Hello:

I have some folks interested in purchasing my macbook air.

I'd prefer to completely reformat, but I don't have a superdrive, and/or access to another computer to remote share.

I will cut and paste all my personal content (e.g. pictures, documents) to an external drive.

What other steps can I take to completely wipe out the contents? Is it possible to remove any trace of the websites I visited?

I want to remove office 2008. Do I simply remove the application icon from the Application folder?

Any other suggestions is GREATLY appreciated!! ;)

Thanks,

PJ

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If I were in your shoes, I'd back up my important files, then create a new user account. After that, log into the new user account and move your old home folder to the trash. Then, Click the Finder menu and click "Secure Empty Trash" to completely remove it. That should wipe all of your stuff out. You'll also need to go back into System Preferences => Accounts and remove the account from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
Take a combined approach:
1 - move or copy all of your data to a network share.
2 - create a new admin-level user account
3 - log in as the new admin user and delete the old account as described above
4 - Use Disk Utility to verify and repair permissions, and then to Erase Free Space - use the 7-pass Erase of Deleted Files - it will take a few hours, so be sure you are powered up before you start.

From a forensics perspective, a 7-zero pass will be enough in most cases. If you were using the machine for sensitive corporate or government work, then yes, I'd recommend a 35-zero pass, but the decision is yours to make.

Reaction score
4 - Use Disk Utility to verify and repair permissions, and then to Erase Free Space - use the 7-pass Erase of Deleted Files - it will take a few hours, so be sure you are powered up before you start.

From a forensics perspective, a 7-zero pass will be enough in most cases. If you were using the machine for sensitive corporate or government work, then yes, I'd recommend a 35-zero pass, but the decision is yours to make.

I mostly agree with the above recommendation, although I'd use the 35-zero pass just to be sure. Let it run overnight.

The problem with that approach is that the OP has no means of reinstalling the OS without an optical drive.

My understanding was that you can install the OS on the MBA wirelessly from a remote HDD. If that is not the case, then the MBA has a really bad design flaw. If phatjoe or his buyer don't have access to another computer, then they shouldn't be using a MBA in the first place.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My understanding was that you can install the OS on the MBA wirelessly from a remote HDD. If that is not the case, then the MBA has a really bad design flaw. If phatjoe or his buyer don't have access to another computer, then they shouldn't be using a MBA in the first place.

Yes, you can use another computer's optical drive remotely, but the OP said that he didn't have access to another machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.

Or, if its an SSD hard drive, just format it and reinstall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
Why don't you check with your buyer(s) and see if they have any interest for the MBA Superdrive. If so, buy it, jack up your price a bit, and then you can format/reinstall OSX.

I bought the Superdrive for my MBA and am very glad I did so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.