external dvd writer or external hard drive for ibook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD
How do you guys back up your ibook? i don't want 2 use cd-r's b/c i have lots of info. i'm looking @ possibly the external hd but i would like the convenience of a dvd writer. any advice? secondly, are most dvd external writers compatible with macs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well I back up with an external harddrive, but will be getting an external DVD burner this christmas...

I think that backing up to a DVD will take longer and might not be as simple, but that it might also be more reliable...

M

mangoSharingan

Well, if you want to carry loads of data to a friend's and you cannot be bothered to carry the hard drive, then DVD's would obviously be easier. Also, despite both options carrying the risk of data being corrupted, if your whole hard drive gets corrupted, then you've lost all your data, while with DVD-Rs, you can spread it across so you lose less. I would still get a hard-drive though because it's easier to use and faster. Plus, optical rewritable drives are always improving (and faster than hard drives) so you may find in a few years time that your DVD-RW drive is slow and incompatible by then.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I use both of them. My external hard drive is for temporary back ups. I use CDs and DVDs for more permanent back ups of important data.

As soon as the price for dual layer media comes down, I will most likely be looking in to getting a dual layer DVD burner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.