2GBX1 Memory

Reaction score
I'm searching for some ram to upgrade my MBP (15" 2.16 core duo). Found out ram is much cheaper than I had thought and having the option of getting it somewhere besides an apple store, it's even cheaper.

With that being said...I figured I would just max it out and be done with it. System has 1GB now and can have up to 3GB. Found some 2GBX2 kits which wouldn't max it out but would max out space. However, I came across a 2GBX1 stick option for about the same price. The figures seem to be the same that is given when I input my information in the Crucial Memory Advisor Tool. Can someone tell me if the following ram would be compatible with my notebook? http://www.newegg.com/product/produ...mory+(Notebook+Memory)-_-Transcend-_-20208323

I know the quality might not be the same but I also noticed Crucial doesn't have a 2GBX1 option (using their Memory Advisor Tool). Also, if someone knows of another 2GBX1 option out there that would be good (based on experience)...I'm all ears.

Thanks again-b.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
OP
N
Reaction score
This is where my confusion comes into play as well as my inexperience. The Corsair is a 2GBX2 kit. I'm looking for 2GBX1. Within the Specifications tab of the Transcend memory, under the features, it says, "Mac Book Pro 15.4inch with 2.16/2.2/2.33/2.4G and 17inches 2.33/2.4Ghz can take 1pc 2GB SO DIMM.
All others can’t accept 1pc 2GB SO DIMM." Reading this, I figured it was a 2GBX1 stick. Probably isn't right? Not for that price right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
nduetime,

Here are some single 2GB sticks available at Newegg. I prefer the Corsair and Mushkin, but this will give you some choice, I think for what you're looking for.

You are looking for 2GB sticks, aren't you?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220243

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233062

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134559

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231159

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146684

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is where my confusion comes into play as well as my inexperience. The Corsair is a 2GBX2 kit. I'm looking for 2GBX1. Within the Specifications tab of the Transcend memory, under the features, it says, "Mac Book Pro 15.4inch with 2.16/2.2/2.33/2.4G and 17inches 2.33/2.4Ghz can take 1pc 2GB SO DIMM.
All others can’t accept 1pc 2GB SO DIMM." Reading this, I figured it was a 2GBX1 stick. Probably isn't right? Not for that price right?

Sorry about that, I knew what you were asking for and yet I gave you incorrect links. I'll chalk it up to a brain fart ;P

Fortunately, it looks as though Noels as got you somewhat covered. Here are some options he didn't link to:

PQI - $34.99

G.Skill - $36.99

PNY - $36.99

Supertalent - $38.99

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
N
Reaction score
No problem Kash...in fact I made a mistake as well. I neglected to type correct processor. It's a Core 2 Duo (thanks cwa107). From what I've seen in other post and a website somewhere, max is 3 GB (but I'm no expert either).

I think my question might be found (buried) in the forums online but....I know the sticks work better in pairs of the same speed and size. However, given that it's max is 3GB, what is the performance problems if I run a single 2GBX1 stick in the main slot and the original 1GBX1 in the additional slot? Sure it might not be as fast as two 2GBX1 but it has to be better than just running the one 2GBX1 stick of memory with nothing in the second slot, right?

The reason I am wanting to max it out is because I want to eventually run programs like photoshop and autocad (through parallels) while listening to itunes music. I know, I want my cake and to eat it too.

One more newby question...when people mention why they don't like one brand or another, why is that. For what reason is it not a preferred choice? Quality, customer service, warrantee, price etc.?

Thanks again for all the replies and help-b.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
[email protected],

I don't think it would be any problem running 1 2GB stick and 1 1GB stick together for your 3GB. Even a dual channel 2x2GB would work, though something of a waste in a constrained system.

Folks have preferences based on experience, cost, hear-say, etc. There are some brands, like Corsair, Mushkin, Crucial, Kingston and PNY that have good reputations as memory makers, so they are preferred by some, while others of course prefer other brands. I go for a mix of performance and cost...

Noel

OP
N
Reaction score
Noels...Thank you for your comments. I've read about the running (2) 2GBX1 sticks with 1GB waste. Right now, I'll go with just one and then figure out what to do after that.

My next question would be...what can be expected, in terms of performance, moving from (1) 2GBX1 stick (brand yet to be determined) and (1) 1GBX1 stick (originally equipped) to a second 2GBX1 of same brand as the one I will eventually get.

Maybe the better thing might be to find out what brand of ram (manufacture for apple) came with my MBP. If both ram sticks are from the same company, yet different GB size, might that be considered running in channels or does the GB size have to be exactly the same between the two?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hold on a second. You don't have a single 1GB stick in your MBP, you have two 512MB sticks. So adding in a 2GB stick isn't going to get you to 3GB, it's going to get you 2.5GB. You're going to need to buy a 2GB and a 1GB stick to hit 3GB, or install 2x2GB for a total of 3.3GB.

OP
N
Reaction score
I'm so sorry...you are correct Kash. I was getting too excited, sorry! So my questions remain (except with the correct ram spec. which came with the notebook).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you use memory intensive programs, you would see a noticeable improvement in performance when going from 1GB to 3GB of RAM. Heck, going from 1GB to 2GB on my Mac was a major improvement, but I use my Mac for such intensive tasks that I'm seriously considering maxing out my memory.

As for the matched pairs, it doesn't really make a difference as the performance "increase" is negligible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz MacBookPro Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, 320GB 7200rpm Western Digital Scorpio Black HD
Got 3Gig in my 2.16 Core2Duo MBP now, which has been a vast improvement. I went down the line of buying a Corsair "Mac specific" pack (well it's not Mac specific at all, but nobody else to my knowledge made a computer with a 3GB limit on the RAM) which included 1x2GB stick and 1x1GB stick.

It cost me £42 (about $80) including delivery, but that was a couple of months ago and things are slightly more expensive in the UK than the states still...

To be honest, I only bought the kit cos I wanted to make sure everything was matching. If I'd have kept the original Samsung 1GB chip in (note, C2D MBPs with 1Gig of RAM had 1x1GB chip in, not 2x512Meg) and bought an additional 2GB chip on its own, it would have done the same job...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.