Sorry! Total newb question: internet connect reminder

Reaction score
Sorry, all. I'm a recent arrival from XP land. When I'm on line I get the "internet connect" reminder about every 10 minutes, even when I'm in the middle of, say, composing an email (ironically, it just happened again as I was typing this post).

Is there a way to control the frequency of this alert?

Thanks in advance.

:D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like you might have your email program set to check mail every 10 minutes. What email program are you using? If it's Mac Mail (the default) go to preferences, general, and make sure you set it to check mail manually.

If that's not it, you may some other program trying to get on the internet every 10 minutes.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, chscag.

I should perhaps clarify, though. This happens when I'm already connected to the internet, even actively browsing.

The alert is called "internet connect". It reminds me that I am connected and it asks whether I wish to stay connected or to disconnect.

It's a useful alert. I'm just not sure how to enable/disable/adjust the feature.

:\

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ok how are you connected to the Internet? DSL? Cable? What modem? Router. Answer this and I am sure I can help you.

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok how are you connected to the Internet? DSL? Cable? What modem? Router. Answer this and I am sure I can help you.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Away.

My connection is via DSL. Using a Speedstream modem that is a few years old. No router.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sorry for the delay in responding. Away.

My connection is via DSL. Using a Speedstream modem that is a few years old. No router.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Does that Speedstream do the actual PPPoE connect or do you have your Mac setup to connect PPPoE to your DSL? That message in OSX is usually caused by a setting in PPPoE. What version of OSX are you running also?

OP
S
Reaction score
Does that Speedstream do the actual PPPoE connect or do you have your Mac setup to connect PPPoE to your DSL? That message in OSX is usually caused by a setting in PPPoE. What version of OSX are you running also?

I am running OSX 10.4.11 and I have the MacBook Pro set up to connect to the internet via the built in Ethernet using PPPoE. Not sure whether that means that the Mac makes the PPPoE connection itself or if it just uses the DSL modem for PPPoE.

It's not hugely inconvenient, of course, and the reminders stop if I disconnect. But it would be nice not to worry about the Internet Connect reminder interrupting in the middle of an operation in Logic, which I'm just learning. I'd like to keep the connection open as I run through tutorials. The reminder actually interrupts other functions, causing me to have to repeat my last step or two.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok here you go. That is why I was asking questions.

Open System Preferences. Click Network. Look at Pic below. Click on the PPPoE Tab.
Then click on PPPoE Options. Look at 2nd picture below. You will see disconnect if idle for 10 Minutes. Uncheck that box or anything else that says to disconnect or warn after a certain time.

This is in 10.4.11 Tiger.

Picture 3.png

Picture 4.png

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok here you go. That is why I was asking questions.

Open System Preferences. Click Network. Look at Pic below. Click on the PPPoE Tab.
Then click on PPPoE Options. Look at 2nd picture below. You will see disconnect if idle for 10 Minutes. Uncheck that box or anything else that says to disconnect or warn after a certain time.

This is in 10.4.11 Tiger.

Cool. Will do. I'm sure that'll be the fix.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.