AppleCare problem.. HELP!

F

Fourbin

3 months ago, about a week after I purchased my new 15" Powerbook G4 it suffered a 1-foot fall to a carpeted floor because of my cat. The next day I took it into the AppleStore and the tech deemed everything fine as it was all in working order although there was a dent in the bottom casing around the Superdrive. Since then everything has been great...

The other morning around 5AM I wake up to the most frightening sound of aliens screeching from inside my powerbook. OSX was frozen and I restart to the "?" folder screen. After talking with AppleCare on the phone for half an hour and running the hardware test utility we found that the computer was not finding the hard drive. He setup a repair for me and I sent out the laptop yesterday. Today I get a call from AppleCare stating that they want to replace the bottom casing, top casing, Superdrive and hard drive... for $975. Now first off, the Superdrive never had any problems and I asked if they could lower the price if I asked for that not to be replaced. Unfortunately they tell me that when they asses a problem, everything must be fixed or nothing at all. Now I am wondering why I paid $350 additional to a $2500 laptop when they want another $975 to fix it? I was told that AppleCare would "Fix anything that went wrong with my computer" and that's it. Other computer manufacturers (IBM, Dell, Toshiba) cover accidental damage on their cheaper (Usually $300) warranties. I am a college student and simply cannot dish out $1000 for my computer that I need badly for my life to function.

Is there nothing I can do? I talked to customer relations to "dispute" my problem and they were complete apathetic and rude. The AppleCare guy suggested an alternative to me... "You could buy a refurbished 12" Powerbook from the AppleStore for only $1300!" What an insult to my intelligence! Spend $1300 on a lesser computer than mine and then do what with my $2500 laptop?

I'm sorry if I sound rash and ridiculous but put yourself in my shoes. I can't imagine spending another $1000 on this thing and I have a brick in my stomache right now. Is there anyone I can get in contact with at Apple to help me out or anything I could possibly do?

Thanks for listening...

EDIT: Just thought I'd add that I just looked up and found that both Dell, Toshiba and IBM offer accidental damage care for under $200 for 3 years. They will fix or replace your laptop for everything from drops to even spills!

I could never imagine myself purchasing a Windows machine from these people but I just can't believe Apple would do this to me...

Reaction score
Did you order it online? Or did u get it at a retail store. Cause then you might be able to go back to the store and get a replacement or a repair for cheaper. Sorry about the PB. Good luck with it!

OP
L

Lasha

Aren't Apple supposed to replace everything that's wrong for free when you're under the Apple Protection Plan? They should'nt be charing for anything like those fixes Fourbin stated, should they???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
ok...this doesnt sound right...If you have the AppleCare protection plan, that covers you NO MATTER WHAT(as long as its not user induced damage)....Now, if they can manage to get you do concede that you caused ALL of these problems..then, you'll have to chalk up the money..but..as long as its not..they cover it..

I mean..generally speaking, they'll even do it for free even if YOU DO cause the damage..

I'd say give them a call again....

OP
C

CaptainMack

read the applecare plan that came with the computer. i am pretty sure that is says they will compleatly fix it as long as it is under the warrenty. i would also definetly call them back. ask them what the point of the warrenty is if it doesnt cover anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.
uh applecare only covers manufacturing defects

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pkny said:
uh applecare only covers manufacturing defects

I'm sorry..but thats absolutley not true...

Explain this to me then....If it ONLY covers manufacturing defects...they would be found within the first few weeks of opening the machine..and in that case...the original warranty covers it..Also, in this case, what would be the point of Applecare if all manufacturing defects occur within the first weeks? Past the first week its pointless?...I don't think so..

AppleCare extends the warranty to three years..This means if ANYTHING goes wrong(that is not user induced) THEY WILL COVER IT!

pkny...read up on it a bit more...and think before you post such an obviously incorrect assumption.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.
gee i dunno, i dont work for apple.. go ask them yourself then.. you dont have to single me out if i said something wrong geezus. americans pfft

OP
A

awolkoff

http://www.apple.com/support/products/proplan_terms.html

It says...

Coverage
For the period stated in your Plan’s Certificate/Confirmation or Proof of Coverage document, Apple (i) covers defects in materials and workmanship for the Apple-branded product(s) (“Covered Equipment”) listed on the Plan Certificate/Confirmation or Proof of Coverage document, and (ii) provides you with access to telephone support and web-based support resources for the Covered Equipment.

The Plan does not cover:
Damage due to accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification, improper environment (including lack of proper temperature or humidity), unusual physical or electrical stress or interference, failure or fluctuation of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, or acts of God;

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
awolkoff said:
http://www.apple.com/support/products/proplan_terms.html

It says...

Coverage
For the period stated in your Plan’s Certificate/Confirmation or Proof of Coverage document, Apple (i) covers defects in materials and workmanship for the Apple-branded product(s) (“Covered Equipment”) listed on the Plan Certificate/Confirmation or Proof of Coverage document, and (ii) provides you with access to telephone support and web-based support resources for the Covered Equipment.

The Plan does not cover:
Damage due to accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification, improper environment (including lack of proper temperature or humidity), unusual physical or electrical stress or interference, failure or fluctuation of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, or acts of God;

meaning.....If something dies for example on the machine within the covered time, they will fix it.

OP
T

tariq

APP doesn't cover accidental or user-caused damage, plain and simple. While you might want to naively believe that fall and subsequent dent has nothing to do with these problems, its pretty obvious that that was the cause and therefore Apple does not have to repair it under warranty. If there was no dent, you would have had better luck having it covered as there would have been no sign of accidental damage.

Your only options are:
1. Your home owners insurance plan may cover the cost of the repair
2. Credit card may offer some insurance
3. Pay for the repair
4. Sell it for parts and buy a new Apple and forever scorn Apple for not fixing your old laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
The Plan does not cover:

What's so unclear about this, AppleJustWorks?!? A drop, being your fault or not, is a user induced damage, which no warranty plan will cover, unless it includes an insurance.

So the only options you have are the one's tarig already pointed out...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...umm..Avalon..I basically conceded that all of you were correct in post # 11 of this thread...I swifted backed down with my opinion...Learn to read between the lines.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.