Recommendations for an iPhone 3G signal amplifier or antenna??

Reaction score
My new iPhone 3G happens to be getting 1/2 of a bar worth of cellular signal (on the 3G network) in the same place my old iPhone got a full signal when it was using the Edge network?? I've confirmed that this is due to an apparent lack of 3G coverage in the particular location I am trying to use the cell phone by simply switching off the 3G option on my new iPhone, at which point I get full bars and a much clearer reception...

I would hate to have to manually switch back and forth between Edge and 3G on a regular basis in order to use my phone, so until some App developer releases a program that would allow me to have some sort of an automatic switch from Edge to 3G based on my location, I was hoping that someone might be able to recommend a compatible 3G signal amplifier/antenna that would boost my 3G network coverage?

Does anyone know of such a device that would work with the iPhone 3G (specifically to increase/enhance its 3G network connection range/visibility)?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Quick question, are you experiencing slow Internet or bad call quality? With 3G, signal bars aren't really that important, it's more of a you either have it or you don't, so even though you "only" have half the bars as before, it shouldn't really have that much of an effect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
yeah, i was really wondering about that, bec my gets full 3g reception, nut in my apt I only get one bar. I get a neighborhood lmost full edge reception in my apt though. so as far as calls and internet go (forgetting about battery life) one bar of 3g is better that full edge? does it mean I have full edge reception plus the 3g. I would much appreciate it if someone could clarify.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Also worth noting that the strength bars match the connection type.

So when you've got a 3g icon it shows the 3g signal strength, when you have the edge icon it shows the edge signal strength etc etc

So although you're seeing only a part full strength bar for 3g you may well have full edge signal. You can prove this by turning off 3g temporarily and you should see the edge icon and it's respective signal stength.

With this in mind there's no reason to manully switch between them (battery life concerns aside) as the phone will do it automatically.

Automatically your phone will seek from strong to weak 3g to edge to gprs

OP
M
Reaction score
So although you're seeing only a part full strength bar for 3g you may well have full edge signal. You can prove this by turning off 3g temporarily and you should see the edge icon and it's respective signal stength.

With this in mind there's no reason to manully switch between them (battery life concerns aside) as the phone will do it automatically.

Automatically your phone will seek from strong to weak 3g to edge to gprs
Yes I know that's how its supposed to happen, but the reality of the situation is that it doesn't switch as aggressively as it should...just as stated in this article about the 3G

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.