External drive sharing

Reaction score
I have a Mac G4 Desktop running Tiger, a Windows PC running XP and a laptop running Vista all networked. The only problem is that I can't get the Mac to share the external dtive. No problems sharing the Windows XP external with the entire network. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" White Macbook 2.0Ghz
A little more info would be good if you can provide it.

What are you trying to share? Where is it connected? How have to tried to share it? What format is the drive in?

OP
B
Reaction score
More info

It's a Western Digital firewire external drive connected to the Mac. I have set the drive to be shared and made the user the owner (no the system as owner). I don't know how it's formatted. I believe it came ready to use. How can I check, and what should it be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Right click on the drive and select Get info, that will tell you the format of the drive

OP
B
Reaction score
External HD Sharing

I hope this is the correct forum for my question. Home network of Mac G3 w/ Tiger, PC with XP and notebook with Vista. Mac has 2 external firewire hard drives daisy-chained formatted as FAT32. Windows sharing is turned on and I can log into the Mac from either of the Windows machines as Admin user. Neither of the external drives shows up on the network. All that I can share is the Mac desktop and files/folders on the desktop. Although both HD icons are on the desktop, they do not show up on the network. I also have an external hard drive connected to my XP desktop which shows up on any network machine with full read/write capabilities no problem. All I had to do in XP was right-click the drive and go to sharing and turn it on. Mac seems much more difficult, or is it impossible? Any help is appreciated and if this is the wrong forum I apologize for the error and welcome info as to where I should post. Thanks in advance.

OP
B
Reaction score
Did I post to the wrong forum?

I had posted a question about sharing an external hard drive connected to my Mac G4 over my home network, but despite seeing over 50 people having read it, I have not received a single reply. Can anyone here at least tell me what forum I should post in? I'd appreciate the help. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks, but........

I have tried to implement the suggestion about ignoring permissions for the volume, but when I "Get info" for the drive, the option simply is not there in the drop-down box. This is the frustration I've met with all the suggestions so far. What is supposed to happen or what tick boxes etc. SHOULD appear, according to the suggestions offfered, simply are not there. I don't know if there are different versions of Tiger and maybe that's why the offered solutions don't work. Seems hopeless at this point. I will probably get a large (1TB) drive for my WIndows XP machine and share that instead. It is so easy to share a drive in XP that it may be the solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It may be that FAT32 doesn't support permissions, so the option just isn't there

OP
B
Reaction score
I read somewhere........

I know I read somewhere that FAT32 is one format that should be OK to share and that both Mac and PC can read and write with it. It was mentioned that Mac extended format would be shareable, but that the windows machine would need third-party software. So I formatted in FAT32. The only limitation, as I have read, is that in FAT32 there is a max file size, but that wouldn't be a problem for me. I also tried to map the drive from both my desktop with XP and my laptop wihich runs Vista and the drive still doesn't appear. It must be something on the Mac which prohibits the drives from showing up on the network.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You tried SharePoints like Louishen suggested and the external drives plugged into the Mac do not show on the network? I have Sharepoints here on all my Tiger rigs and every external shows up on any network connected machine. Did you set up Sharepoints correctly for each external drive? I have been using Sharepoints for years and never an issue. My external drives on the Mac though are formatted in OSX format and not FAT 32, but I have used some FAT 32 externals and they showed up as well.

OP
B
Reaction score
I read the info

I read the info at the sharepoints web page. But I don't have a file server, just a stand-alone G4. Also, it refers to sharing folders, but I want to share the entire drive. It also seems to have a lot of "baggage" that comes with it modifying a lot of basic Mac settings, etc. and I am not comfortable with all the changes that I don't understand. I thought that external disk sharing could be done without any third-party software but I may be wrong. It seems that getting a large capacity drive for my XP desktop and sharing it over my network would be the only solution. I'll leave the 300GB drive for the Mac only and get a 1TB drive to share over the network. Why does Apple make it so hard to do a simple thing? It should have "Sharing" on the "get info" drop-down menu, so you could click it, verify that you want to share the drive, and that's that. Hope they fix this in the next OS release.

OP
B
Reaction score
No way to share in Tiger

NONE of the suggested fixes worked. Share points gives error that there are no permissions for the external drive. ???
Does anyone know if this whole sharing problem has been solved with Leopard? I would upgrade to Leopard if I know that external drive sharing is possible with Leopard. Thanks again for any and all help!
Many criticize Windows, but for sharing a hard drive it sure is easier with Windows. I hope Leopard will solve the problem.

OP
B
Reaction score
Posting again.......external HD sharing

I posted this back in December, but no help yet. It seems absurdly difficult to do something that should be simple or maybe it's not possible......but here it is again:

"
I hope this is the correct forum for my question. Home network of Mac G4 w/ Tiger, PC with XP and notebook with Vista. Mac has 2 external firewire hard drives daisy-chained formatted as FAT32. Windows sharing is turned on and I can log into the Mac from either of the Windows machines as Admin user. Neither of the external drives shows up on the network. All that I can share is the Mac desktop and files/folders on the desktop. Although both HD icons are on the desktop, they do not show up on the network. I also have an external hard drive connected to my XP desktop which shows up on any network machine with full read/write capabilities no problem. All I had to do in XP was right-click the drive and go to sharing and turn it on. Mac seems much more difficult, or is it impossible? Any help is appreciated and if this is the wrong forum I apologize for the error and welcome info as to where I should post. Thanks in advance."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged multiple crossposts

OP
B
Reaction score
HD sharing

I still have not been able to share the external drives on the network. I had bought Leopard, but had to return it since my G4 doesn't meet the minimum system requirements. (The computer guru at BestBuy said it would run on my system but the documentation says otherwise.) Sharepoints didn't work either. Anyone have any suggestions as to any other way to share, or should I just forget about this? Thanks again.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What format is the External? NTFS? FAT32? Mac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.