1st Gen iPhone, 2.0 update = error 1600, dead

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5GHz 2GB Mem
I have 1st Gen iPhone 8gb.
I never jail broken it or something... always updated whenever possible,
kept my phone clean as possible with best effort to not to drop it.

I was using my phone (even talking on the phone for about an hour) until last night when my iTunes offered me the 2.0 update.

after the update/or during the update, my iPhone died/bricked.
I can't turn it back on (believe me, I tried many things..) and when I connect it to the iTunes, it tells me that my phones is in recovery mode and needs to be restored. (this is after holding the power+home key for more than 10 sec)

I do the restore, it gives me "error 1600"

I was on the phone with APPLE for like 30 min but no luck.
they made me an in-store appointment where I have to drive 30 min to get to... since it was last minute or whatever.. they had no idea why..

my conclusion? should have never gone with 2.0 update.

anyone else had this problem?

Reaction score
Had the same problem

I had the same problem but it is now resolved. I had to uninstall iTunes and download it again and reinstall. Only after doing this did my iphone restore. Hope this helps.

Come to think of it, I originally tried to download 2.0 on my desktop iTunes which I never use for updates. Only after I resintalled iTunes on my laptop that I normally use for iTunes, was I able to restore my iphone. I don't know if that had anything to do with it but I hope you get yours fixed.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5GHz 2GB Mem
I had the same problem but it is now resolved. I had to uninstall iTunes and download it again and reinstall. Only after doing this did my iphone restore. Hope this helps.

Come to think of it, I originally tried to download 2.0 on my desktop iTunes which I never use for updates. Only after I resintalled iTunes on my laptop that I normally use for iTunes, was I able to restore my iphone. I don't know if that had anything to do with it but I hope you get yours fixed.

well, thanks for the reply.

I went to the Apple store today and they tried it couple of times to restore my phone..

It did not work so they just gave me a replacement phone...

they could not figure out why either... or should I say, they just didn't care to figure out?

anyways, since I got a replacement, I just hope this problem wouldnt happen in the future.. cuz to get a replacement, driving for about 1 hour (in-traffic..) after waiting for about half a day without a phone is not cool at all.

about your solution, i am glad that it worked for you but, since the apple store people used their computer and still couldn't get it to work so...

I guess my problem was... different??? who knows..

Reaction score
maybe...

I had the same error with my ipod touch. I looked to see which itunes I was using, 7, and upgraded to the 7.7 and everything worked!

:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.