How to Backup and Reload

Reaction score
I have a G3 (Blue and White) that when started, chimes and loads the os. The progress bar makes it all the way to the end before it freezes. The computer is not soft locked but the progress bar is. Anyone ever had that happen? So my strategy is to backup and reload the OS. How can I backup the entire HDD (or access it to copy file from off of it)? I was thinking of a bootable backup utility like Acronis offers, but one for Mac. Also how do I reload the OS?

Thank You.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
is it bootable. i wouldnt be able to install it cause i cant access anything

Not sure how you would make a backup in any case then... if you can't boot your Mac, you'll probably have to re-install OS X.

When one refers to a bootable backup, it means that the backup that you make will boot after you restore it to your machine. If you're looking for something like Acronis True Image which will make a back up without booting the machine, can't help you there. sorry!

Maybe try that one you cited earlier...

Noel

OP
S
Reaction score
Not sure how you would make a backup in any case then... if you can't boot your Mac, you'll probably have to re-install OS X.

When one refers to a bootable backup, it means that the backup that you make will boot after you restore it to your machine. If you're looking for something like Acronis True Image which will make a back up without booting the machine, can't help you there. sorry!

Maybe try that one you cited earlier...

Noel

yeah, i cant get pass the progress bar loading so i was looking for something like true image for mac to backup entire drive. is reloading the OS hard or is it straight foward?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
you could always try hooking your g3 up to another mac via FireWire and start it up in Target Mode (hold down T while starting up). then you could transfer any files to the other mac just like you would with an external HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
To make the external bootable for use with SuperDuper make sure you Apple Partition Map (APM) format the drive before backing up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.