Help FAAST! System preferences crash when opening background and screensaver panel!!

Reaction score
So my friend and I played a trick on an intern here at work who just got a new MBP. We swapped his background out for a vista one - real simple, right.

Well, he got back and had a good chuckle about it UNTIL - the system preferences panel crashed after he tried to switch it back.

So here is the only symptom:

Open system preferences
Click "backgrounds and screensaver"
window opens, looks ok
window closes and error screen pops up saying "system prefrences unexpectedly closed"

HELP! he is ****** now!

Reaction score
So let's see ... you vandalized someone else's property and now you want help to fix it FAAAAST? Good luck my friend.

OP
J
Reaction score
vandalized is harsh for a common office prank.

People go to mac forums for help, you don't ask everyone if they have robbed a bank lately before offering advice do you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Try deleting preferences.plist from his user library, found at ~/Library/Preferences

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks Beach!

We figured it out before i saw your post, but you are right - that is the solution.

Delete preferences.plist and desktop.plist from the USER library.

Other sources fail to mention the USER library part.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.