G4 800mhz iMac poor video streaming

Reaction score
My computer really dogs when visiting graphically challenging web sites, streaming video, or running games. I have all the latest software, is my only option getting a better video card? If so, what should I look at for a new card? I've got an nvidia geforce4 mx with 32 megs.

I don't play a lot of games, I mostly use my computer for downloading and watching bittorrent movies and cruising the internet.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok so I figured out the streaming problem. I went to the system preferences and changes the streaming buffer and delay. But websites and games are still hard on my old mac. I did some searching and found my graphics chipset is intregrated into the logic board so it's not upgradeable. But further reading showed that maybe this is all because of my slower cpu speed? I've seen there are some upgrades but I'm not sure if a cpu upgrade is cost effective.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It could be the hard drive or your internet connection.

Any old graphics card can handle streaming video - it's not taxing. The hard drive needs to process the frames though, and an old machine with a slow drive bus will struggle.

I would have thought any old G4 would have been fast enough though. It's only old ATA 66 hard drives that are too slow in my experience.

What OS are you on? What are you watching the video in? Does it play videos if you view them offline? What internet speed do you have?

And one last question - how much RAM do you have?

OP
T
Reaction score
Streaming videos online are no longer a problem, but I'm running safari. It's games and heavily graphical websites that are the problem now. I've installed a new hard drive which is significantly faster than the original but I installed it before I really paid much attention to speed increases so I'm not sure if it helped video, but it definitely helped when browsing the OS. I'm running 768mb of ram. Os 10.4.11

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.