17" MBP Santa Rosa

Reaction score
Hi all,
I came across this deal at my university store. I have been waiting to buy an MBP for quite a while but couldn't justify the $2k+ price tag.

I have a few questions about the 17" MBP. How big and heavy is it? Can it still be carried around? I do like the large display. In addition, how does the older version (Santa Rosa) compare to the current version (Penryn)?

Is it worth it to buy the following computer brand new:
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 17” Display Model#: MA897LL/A
2GB RAM (PC2-5300) DDR2, 160GB HD (5400RPM), DVD+R
Dual Layer/DVD±RW/CD-RW SuperDrive 8x, iSight,
Airport Extreme, Bluetooth, Ethernet (7960607)
$1549
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Hi all,
I came across this deal at my university store. I have been waiting to buy an MBP for quite a while but couldn't justify the $2k+ price tag.

I have a few questions about the 17" MBP. How big and heavy is it? Can it still be carried around? I do like the large display. In addition, how does the older version (Santa Rosa) compare to the current version (Penryn)?

Is it worth it to buy the following computer brand new:
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 17” Display Model#: MA897LL/A
2GB RAM (PC2-5300) DDR2, 160GB HD (5400RPM), DVD+R
Dual Layer/DVD±RW/CD-RW SuperDrive 8x, iSight,
Airport Extreme, Bluetooth, Ethernet (7960607)
$1549
Thanks

I thoroughly enjoy the 17-inch model since it is my only computer and thus I like the large display on my primary workstation/entertainment centre. The MacBook Pro is also the lightest and thinnest 17-inch notebook I can think of, coming in at only around 2.5cm thick and weighing less than 7 pounds. That said, a lot of people don't like a mobile computer having such a large screen since it does make it slightly more awkward to carry around than, say, the 15-inch model, which is exceedingly popular for a reason (and not just the price tag). You can also get more or less the same specs as those in the 17-inch model for the 15-inch model at a lower price. I think you really need to find a place where you can play around with one before making such a plunge. It might just turn out that you (like most) don't like the prospect something so awkward compared to the 15-inch model. As for speed differences between Santa Rosa and Penryn, it's not something I would lose sleep over- you're not going to actually notice it, and most of the changes benefit battery life more than performance if what I've been told is correct.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina
I agree... I think you should go to a nearby apple store and spend some time there to see what fits you best. As far as speed goes, I doubt you will notice the difference.

One thing that was not mentioned was your class size. I went to a very large university and the classrooms had us stuck in there like sardines. The desks were barely big enough for my macbook. I could only imagine the 17' there... It would anger the people beside me even more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.