"No output devices found" ?

Reaction score
Hi all,

The other day, when I opened my MBA from sleep mode, a gray screen popped up saying that I had to restart my computer by pressing on the power button. Well, since then, I have had absolutely no sound on my computer.

When I try to use the keyboard to raise/lower the volume, a little screen pops up with a circle with a line through it. In the menu bar at the top of my screen, where my volume status should be, there is only a blank space. Additionally, in System Preferences, there are "no output devices found."

I have done nothing out of the ordinary, so I'm unsure as to what happened, and it's driving me nuts. I would really appreciate any help/answers you can offer.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBAir
Try doing a pram zap. Shut down the computer, start up and hold down the option-apple-P-R keys until you hear the startup chime 3 times then let go.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I've actually tried the PRAM reset already, which didn't fix the problem (and I never heard the chime).

Reaction score
I am also having the same problem, plus i have black boxes that tend to appear around icons and move with a page scroll but remain in the same part of the screen. I tried the PRAM reset and did not hear the chime or have any success. Please help!

Reaction score
Potential Solution

There is a solution that has been reported to fix this issue. It requires cleaning of corrupted audio components. It's kind-of lengthy, and I'm in a tight spot now, getting ready to leave. If this is still a problem to anyone, please email me, and I'll be happy to detail it out.

Best..

Reaction score
There is a solution that has been reported to fix this issue. It requires cleaning of corrupted audio components. It's kind-of lengthy, and I'm in a tight spot now, getting ready to leave. If this is still a problem to anyone, please email me, and I'll be happy to detail it out.

Best..

I'm having the exact same problem on my Macbook Pro.

OP
R
Reaction score
Well, now I'm thinking it's a hardware issue.

I reinstalled OSX last night and the problem remains. Cannot toggle volume at all and System Preferences reads "no output devices found."

I will have to take it over to an Apple Store ASAP.

Reaction score
to TheYoungHustla
I have a MacBook Air with the same problem no sound or sound devices. You said that there was a solution to do with no sound with MacBook Air. Can you help me to fix it? Thanks

Reaction score
This maybe a solution

After trying every solution on the net and being able to fix it once I know it was not a hardware problem. Some thing someone started with in one discussion lead me to look into the MIDI Setup. I have reboot my MBA several times and it has worked every time I think this may be the fix.

Step One: Open Applications.
Step Two: Find Utilities folder and open.
Step Three: Find the Audio MIDI Setup icon and open.
Step Four: Under Audio Devices will be the IAC Drive. If it Greyed Out, Select and click on “Add Devices”.
Step Five: If the word BUS is in this box select and remove.
Step Six: Make sure that the “Device is online” is checked. Your IAC Driver Icon should be all red.
FINALLY RESTART. Your sound should be working now.

Please let me know if it works for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thanks for posting as it might help someone in the future, as this thread is two years old :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Thank you for pointing that out.

Hi TatooMac,
Yes, I understand that this is an older thread. The last message before mine was from Nov 2009 so mac owners are still dealing with this particular problem. I did an exhaustive search for an answer and found none. I then took my year old MBA to the Genius Bar and then had no clue and were going to replace the audio flex cable and audio board for 300.00. I was able to to fix it once at the Genius Bar by deleting the preference file bezelservices, but that worked only once and then the sound was gone again. No where have I found a solution for this and many owners have paid out the 300+ to replace said parts. So I went ahead and posted the solution for someone in the near future who can not afford a new laptop and purchase one of the many different models that is/was having this problem. So yes I am not totally oblivious.:Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi TatooMac,
Yes, I understand that this is an older thread. The last message before mine was from Nov 2009 so mac owners are still dealing with this particular problem. I did an exhaustive search for an answer and found none. I then took my year old MBA to the Genius Bar and then had no clue and were going to replace the audio flex cable and audio board for 300.00. I was able to to fix it once at the Genius Bar by deleting the preference file bezelservices, but that worked only once and then the sound was gone again. No where have I found a solution for this and many owners have paid out the 300+ to replace said parts. So I went ahead and posted the solution for someone in the near future who can not afford a new laptop and purchase one of the many different models that is/was having this problem. So yes I am not totally oblivious.:Evil:

And greatly appreciated and as i posted before Thanks for the solution. I just bought the date of the thread up, BC so many people dont look at the date and are confused as to why no-one has answered there question. By no means was i having a digg @ you ;)

Reaction score
Thank you Tatoo Mac

Thank you for the clarification. I guess I am so use to being attacked in other forums (mainly for being a macophile) that I get my hackles up to easily. So I apologize for my bad.:Oops::Oops::Blushing:

Reaction score
Hi there,

First post on these forums - hopefully more to come! Well, I'll get right to it. I have the same issue with my MBA as reported by the above users...I suddenly lost all sound on my MBA, my volume icon in the right hand corner is blanked out, when I press the volume button a little crossed out circle comes up beneath it, and no output audio devices are listed in system settings. I've tried the PRAM reset as well as doing the fix that mgmdesign suggested above. Neither worked...more over everything in the Audio Midi setup tool was blanked out and it simply stated "no devices found on system" - I couldnt even select Add devices. I've tried everything short of a system reboot - which I would do if not for the fact that I'm in the middle of a lot of work, as well as not having any of the installation disks (i'm abroad). Any help at all would be greatly appreciated - I'm completely lost and would love to have my sound back on my laptop!

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'd suggest you try re-booting. You haven't done the solution provided by mgmdesign as the last step is to re-boot the machine.

Reaction score
I've rebooted several times to no avail...besides I can't even complete the first several steps of mgmdesigns solution as within my audio midi setup tool everything is blanked out. I've been reading around other forums and it seems this is a hardware issue with the audio flex cable. I was hoping maybe its not and I wont have to bring it in to an Apple store, but it seems I'll have to if I can't find any other solution.

Reaction score
no output devices found

Go back to your "Audio Midi setup" select the IAC Driver and double click to open. Open more information and select ports. In the port window select what ever is listed and remove with the remove selected port button. Go back up to the 4th item down in this window and check mark "Device is online." Let me know if this works or not.

In System Preferences you will not be able to select anything in this window until you make the changes to the Audio Midi setup in your Utilities folder.

Reaction score
I can't select anything in my audio midi setup in the utilites folder...it's empty and just says "No Devices Found on System"...I cant select the IAC driver. There's nothing there...I guess i just have to get it repaired then?

Reaction score
no output devices found

I went through your previous posts and did not find that you had tried to reinstall you system software. I would do this before any work on the hardware. It still seems to be a software problem. If you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself take it in to be done.

Reaction score
I'll do that then..ill be going home in a weeks time so hopefully i can bring everything back to normal with a software reboot. If not then i'll take it in to get repaired...or just buy a new one. Anyways, thank you for all the help - much appreciated!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.