slow mini - finding things running behind?

Reaction score
I've never had any problem with my Mac mini at all. Recently it has been running *very* slowly. I cleared of lots of pictures and other files, hoping that would help but it hasn't.

Someone, somewhere, suggested looking at the applications to see if things are running "behind"?? (Widgets, maybe?) I don't know how to tell that. I did go to utilities within applications, but then I don't know what I'm looking for.

Could someone help with that? Or any other suggestions?

My son uses ITunes a lot. Could that be a problem?

Thank you!

Janet

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've never had any problem with my Mac mini at all. Recently it has been running very slowly. I cleared of lots of pictures and other files, hoping that would help but it hasn't.

Someone, somewhere, suggested looking at the applications to see if things are running "behind"?? (Widgets, maybe?) I don't know how to tell that. I did go to utilities within applications, but then I don't know what I'm looking for.

Could someone help with that? Or any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Janet

They're probably referring to using Activity Monitor to see which programs are running in the background and whether they're taking up a lot of system resources. You can find Activity Monitor in the Applications folder, under Utilities.

If it's been a long time since you ran maintenance on your Mac, you might consider downloading a program like MainMenu or Onyx, which will streamline some of the maintenance tasks for you.

OP
J
Reaction score
We fixed it. After I turned off the computer I unplugged the modem, waited a bit, and plugged it back in. My friend suggested that, saying it seems resetting the modem connection can help at times - and it did! Wahoo. It's back to speed.

Janet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini aka Little Tiger
Was the computer running slow or just your internet connection? While I suggest restarting your machine once in a while, resetting the modem should do nothing to the performance of the machine itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.