Weird keyboard issue when plugging in AC adapter

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an interesting issue. When ever I am using my PB on battery power, turn it off, then plug in the AC adapter and turn it back on my keyboard will not work. Well, it actually does work, but when I type on it, it just types random characters, and some keys don't type anything. I then have to turn off the computer, take the battery out, and hold the power button down, to drain the flea power. And that usually fixes it. However, it continues to happen. I have also tried Apple+Option+O+F, then typing reset-nvram and reset-all. Which i thought worked but it didn't. I also tried Apple+Option+P+R waited for 2 chimes, and then restarted. But that didn't work either. I was wondering if anyone has heard of anything like this happening before, or if there is anything else I can try?

Here are my PB specs:
Powerbook G4
Mac OS X v10.5.4
AppleSpecs.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Have you created another user account and seen if it still happens? If it doesn't, you know it is a user specific software problem. If it does, then it could be hardware or os related.

If it happens with both users, you can use the install dvds that came with your computer to run the apple hardware test.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=31296

If nothing shows up, your best bet is to back up and do an erase and install. Archive and install will work if you chose to not preserve user and network settings.

And if it still happens after that, you know it's hardware and time to seek a repair.

OP
V
Reaction score
I actually was having this issue when I was using Tiger, so I backed up my user account and preferences, and did a clean install of Leopard. The problem is still occurring, which leads me to believe it may be a hardware issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Did it do it right away after installing loepard?

If you moved some of your old user preferences over from tiger, It could be in there in a .plist. ? Had a display issue once and it was resolved by me deleting the user preferences folder.

Have you created another user on your mac? System preferences>accounts then create a new user. And seen if the problem is still there?

If you have and it is, that's pretty much a giveaway that it's hardware. I'm assuming your warranty ran out?

Honestly, I'd back up and do another erase and install of leopard and run on the clean install, without moving any files over and see if it still happens.

If it's a hardware issue and if you are out of warranty, It's gonna be expensive. It could be your PRAM battery, your regular battery, something in the power converter, the keyboard itself, the mother board, who knows?

If your not afraid to do the work yourself, go for the PRAM battery first. It's only $40 and is a good start. If that doesn't fix it, at least you can cross it off the list and try something else, or if you take it in after that, it's one less place some one will have to look.

I've come across this before, just never heard the out come or cause. sorry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.