For those using virus protection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
I don't believe this question has been asked before but has anyone who has virus protection on their Macs ever had a notice pop up that you were infected and showing the program that caused the infection? Just curious and was wondering about this. Thanks for a reply and your input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac--OSX 10.6.7
When I made the change to Mac, I couldn't imagine running a computer without virus protection. So I have Norton Anti Virus on my Mac. It updates weekly, scans weekly and has never found anything in three years.

Reaction score
i don't run any sort of anti-virus on my imac. I'm not sure why, im not exactly paranoid either.

At the moment ive figured that, for the past year i had a windows machine with no protection for the past year and didn't get infected once.

If i can do it on a windows i sure can do it on a mac! :D i am running sophos on my boot camp though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Our office:

5 Macs.

7 years.

No virus protection.

Not a single problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I've got two Macs now and don't run any kind of virus software on either, nor am I worried about it.

I love my Macs! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
What program did it say was infected? The only way you could have gotten something is if you gave it permission to install. What are you using for virus protection? If you are worried about I would uninstall the "infected" program and see what the scanner says then. If it still finds something I would uninstall the scanner. The only malware programs that have been released for the Mac are ones that trick the user into installing them on the computer. Even then I don't think they really did much and Apple closed the security holes pretty quickly.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
I don't have any A/V program on my iMac and I don't claim to have a virus, but my question was addressed to those posters who do have an A/V program and if any virus ever showed up in their A/V program. Thanks for the replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I run ClamX

It has only ever found a couple of PC viruses in Thunderbird's mail folders, and thunderbird had already placed them in the junk folder anyway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Not on my mac side but in parallels. I installed the included kaspersky virus scan. I wanted to see how some games would run on my mini as well as bringing over and fixing some of my mp3 tags. I'm not sure where it came from but kapersky found it. If I knew what prog it was I would have put it on the mac side and run clamx just to see what it would do... Maybe that'll be something to figure out..
I don't believe this question has been asked before but has anyone who has virus protection on their Macs ever had a notice pop up that you were infected and showing the program that caused the infection? Just curious and was wondering about this. Thanks for a reply and your input.

Reaction score
>>At the moment ive figured that, for the past year i had a windows machine with no protection for the past year and didn't get infected once.<<

How could you possibly know?

Reaction score
I think the entire issue is that on Windows XP a virus can install itself without your knowledge or permission. Vista is a whole lot more secure, but not impervious. On the Mac, nothing can be installed without your permission. And in that case it is you, the user, who does the actual install!
The most famous piece of malware on the Mac is a DNS redirect. You are cruzing through your favorite Pr0n site and a message comes up saying that you need to install a specific video codec to view a file. So in your heated state of mind you blindly type in your password and hit the Enter key.
Here is an article, but the title should really be changed:
http://www.virusbtn.com/news/2007/11_01.xml
You have infected yourself and no anti-virus program can save you.
As far as running Windows, whether on a Mac or not, you need anti-virus software. You will get hit.

Reaction score
So I'm guessing you can go on 100 "dirty" sites and download stuff and not have one single issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
So I'm guessing you can go on 100 "dirty" sites and download stuff and not have one single issue?

Well, as long as you don't allow any such sites to intsall anything

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.