Spaces: How do you open an application in the space your're in?

Reaction score
I love the spaces feature. I've used software in Windows that did the same thing but it wasn't near as slick or easy to use.

But one pesky problem I'm having is that when I hit command-n to open a new browser window, for example, I get transported to a different screen. I'd rather the new window open in my current space. Any way to do that?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When in a blank spaces window I can open any application in the dock and it opens in that Space.

I tried opening a new Window in Safari and it opened in the space I was in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Black MacBook | 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 160GB HDD
Just click and hold the window of the app you want to move, then while you're holding the window, hit option+arrow to move to a new space, and it will drag the new window across into your new space.

OP
N
Reaction score
When in a blank spaces window I can open any application in the dock and it opens in that Space.

I tried opening a new Window in Safari and it opened in the space I was in.
Try this: Open Safari in space #4. Then go to space #1 and open a new Safari browser window. Then see which space you are in. When I did this, I got transported to space #4.

OP
N
Reaction score
Just click and hold the window of the app you want to move, then while you're holding the window, hit option+arrow to move to a new space, and it will drag the new window across into your new space.

Yes, I'm familiar with that, but I'd rather just hit command-n and have the window open up in my new space rather than have to perform that operation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.