What would you do... and pay?

Reaction score
What would you say, If I told you that with a new app on your iPhone, you could change the channel on your TV...

What if It could perform any function your tv's remote could perform?
What if your dvd vcr cable box stereo and even your lights and garage door could all be controlled from your iPhone?
Imagine the pile of remotes you no longer need to keep track of when your iPhone can unlock your car, controll your entertainment set, turn on and off your remote controll lights fans and alarm systems?

Can you think of any other such functionalities you might like to see from an application capable of such things?

Please discuss, and know that your comments are truelly being taken to heart on the development of this new iPhone, and iTouch application...

Reaction score
That would be amazing, and will make the iPod/iPhone an even more complete multi-tasking device, if not THE most complete. I would easily pay the 9.95 price we've been seing on the Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I would be completely astounded and flummoxed. I don't even have an iPhone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Free. why should I have to pay for something that I would normally be able to accomplish by just doing it manually?

Having to pay for something like that is like having to pay $10 for Bejeweled. . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The price I would be willing to pay really depends upon the interface of this app. If it was a simple universal remote with just buttons for the various devices and all of the devices had to be coded in manually, then not so much. If it had a Logitech Harmony like system where you entered the device model number and it automatically found all of the functions, then I would definitely pay good money for it. Of course, if it had a more visual system such as the Harmony 1000, with pictures for each function and possibly channels, then I would also pay some more money for that.

Reaction score
I agree that it really depends on the app. But it also depends on your experience in buying phone apps in the past.

Many people wouldn't pay more than $4.99 for any app, but many of those people have only bought apps for a regular phone. I have absolutely no problem paying $9.99 for, say, Bejeweled II on an iPhone, even though if you look at the reviews at the app store, it's getting a ton of negative reviews based on the "high price." From my perspective, it's a bargain because I've used a Treo for the last three years, and if you've ever bought an app for the Treo, (or WinMobile) many are way above $9.99. Bejeweled on my Treo cost me $19.99. So, to pay half price to have it on my iPhone? Awesome.

And, since I've paid $19.99 and up for some of the apps on my Treo, I would expect to pay that much for a very sophisticated app on an iPhone. It would really depend on how well the app works, how easily it works, and how useful it is to me. If it's something I couldn't live without having, I'd be willing to pay a premium price.

Having said that, I would also have to say that what a developer might think of as a "must have" app, might not be for other people. You might think your app is totally worth a $29.99 price tag because you think your app rocks. But, I might go, "They want me to pay $29.99 for THAT?!"

So, be careful you don't price yourself out of the market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
9.99.... sounds awesome.

OP
A
Reaction score
The comments we have gotten on this project have been amazing... As far as questions are concerned I'll start at the top:

As far as the price for the APP we would love to make it available for free, but the reality is there is either going to be minor advertising or a price tag, because the hosting space for all of the connection codes and such is pretty extensive. We're talking about a rather large database... It is my personal hope that a 1.99 price tag, would be something that people would accept easily. 1.99 allows us to cover most expenses, and yet is not a turn-off when looking at different app's.
Comments on $1.99 price tag?

When it comes to the interface, this is where the brunt of the hours have been put into. The hope is that through updates we can have a customized interface for as many different devises as possible, but the reality is with the scope we want this to be usable with, there will be a large group of devises that will work off of a very standard interface. The idea is, that eventually every individual product will have a customized interface...

As for the ease of use, with some devices, set-up will be difficult. Anyone who has ever self programed a car alarm remote can tell you that there is some minor set-up involved. Where ever possible we would like a simple select your model and go set-up procedure... garage doors and remote control lights may take some disassembly of the current remote, but nothing that you won't be guided through step by step...

We really appreciate all the great input were getting from all the different places we have asked for feedback. If you are at all interested in assisting with this project, we are looking for people who are familiar with any aspect of remote control consumer products... Please feel free to pm this account, and we can discus how much involvement is possible. As for compensation, non of the current designers/programers are expecting any form of financial compensation. We do plan to make the Application free to as many of those involved as possible, and pre-releases and such are being discussed.

Again, thank you to everyone for your input, please continue to discuss,
Jake Campos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you guys are looking at only $1.99 for such an application, I would have to say that's a real bargain. I would have gladly paid anywhere between $5 and $10 for something like this.

Could you describe the setup a bit more. Will it be the code system that you see currently on cheap universal remotes or will it be the Logitech style system (or a combination of both)?

OP
A
Reaction score
A combination of both... Logitech has better resources then we do... so don't expect it to start out as amazing as there 700$ remotes. But most (90% or so) of the devices will be as simple as knowing what type of tv you have... if you can navigate these forums you can automate your life... However with garage doors and car alarms and such where there is no accurate way to determine the codes necessary to replicate the functions. Some set up may be as extensive as removing a battery cover and maybe even removing the battery...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.