Overactive fan after fsck-yf

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, White, 1.8GHz Power PC
Hi, I hope someone can help please!

After running the fsck-yf command, we've had a few instances in our office of the iMac's fan going mad. (very noisy and lots of air shooting out of the back) It doesn't seem to want to stop, can anyone tell me how to make it stop please?

Thanks in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi:

Can you tell us why you ran FSCK and when you did, what did it report back had been repaired if anything? Then we can go from there.

Regards.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi

Thanks, it was my colleague who ran the fsck after she had upgraded from Panther to Tiger. When she ran Software Update for the first time after the upgrade she had a few problems with it, so did fsck. It didn't repair anything as far as I'm aware. I've had the same problem myself after running it - the fan just seems to go crazy. It kept like that for perhaps 2 weeks before suddenly just stopping.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, I understand. It may have just been file indexing after the update which caused the hard drive and CPU to work harder. That in turn causes temps to rise, hence, the fans start spinning faster to cool everything off. Although, it would seem to me the whole index process should have completed in several days not weeks.

Regards.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks - I'm sure it's not doing any damage, it's just very off-putting with all the noise it makes.

Is it worth me advising her to reset the SMU perhaps?

Reaction score
i've seen this many times on Imac machines. the fix is very easy. Restart the machine in single user mode. once it is started up type exit at the prompt and hit enter (instead of typing reboot). the machine will restart and the fans will be working correctly.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that. Could you clarify for me please what you mean by starting in single user mode?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, excellent, thanks very much. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.