How to Move iTunes Music onto my USB Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook--2.4ghz--4gb RAM--250gb HD__iPod Touch 8gb
How to move my iTunes music on to my USB drive...how do i go about this...i dont want the whole library so im not going to export it...someone please help!! And i want the music to also stay on my hp and be on my macbook.

T

todd51

You just want to copy some of the music files onto it? Then just go to Music > iTunes > iTunes Music ....and select the albums/songs you want to copy and put them on the USB drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Keeping your iTunes collection on an external

The following assumes you want to keep all your iTunes music and movies on an external disk and ensure new music is always stored on the external drive.

First, you need to consolidate your iTunes Library to a folder you have chosen of the external drive.

Select the command consolidate library from the Advanced Menu. This will copy all your itunes media to the external folder and link the itunes library file to it

The files will now be on the external while the library.xml file (the index as it were) will still be in the Users > Me > Music folder of your mac.

If you want this file on the external as well as well, copy it to external iTunes folder, start itunes with the alt key pressed and you will have the option to select the library file now on the external

Select the library file you just copied and now both your music and the library are on the external

You can now delete the old Itunes folder off your mac

You can also use the choose library dialogue to switch between a large music collection on the external and a smaller music folder on the mac if you wish

OP
Bman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
louishen,

I am switching this from an HP pavilion to my new MacBook...does this matter or your instructions stay the same?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You may be best using the consolidate command from the HP

You will need to move the library file and link to it as well, I think the key for that is Shift on windows

Once the library and xml file are on that external, you can point the mac to the external library.xml file with the alt key on the mac.

OP
Bman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thanks to everyone

Reaction score
easy way to copy itunes apple music songs to usb

How to move my iTunes music on to my USB drive...how do i go about this...i dont want the whole library so im not going to export it...someone please help!! And i want the music to also stay on my hp and be on my macbook.

If you are also looking for the way to transfer the Apple Music offline songs to USB drive, this article will help you: http://www.tuneskit.com/apple-music-tips/copy-apple-music-to-usb.html

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Dan_Tu

A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

Thank you for your contribution. Maybe you hadn't realised that this thread is 8 years old, so I guess the problem was solved:)

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks Ian. We refer to those threads as "Zombie" threads. (Awaken from the dead.) :)

Reaction score
Copy music from mac book pro to a flash drive

Hey,

Sorry to border you but, could you explain to me how I move an audio file (music) from my mac to a external disk?
Because I've tried in several ways but I couldn't do it. If you could help me I would be very thankful.

Best regards,

Guilh33rm3

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm a bit confused here. Are you moving a single file or or your iTunes library.

Reaction score
Music files

I have my music in a folder on my desktop, and I've tried to drag and drop it on my external disk but it doesn't work. It's a lot of music, not just one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
How is the external disk formatted? It sounds like the disk is formatted as NTFS, which Macs can not write to natively. Is there any data on the drive your need to keep? If so, copy it to your Mac, then go to Applications > Utilities, and open Disk Utility. Select the drive to be formatted, and then select "Erase". If the external disk is going to be used between Windows. OS and Mac OS computers, you will want to make the format type either FAT or exFAT. The main difference between FAT and exFAT, is that exFAT will allow file sizes larger than 4gb and FAT will not. After the erase has completed, you will be able to copy the files on to the drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.