iPhone Activation & Number Transfer Question

Reaction score
Hello, I'm about to hop on the iPhone 3G bandwagon and had a couple questions before switching. I could not find answers to these questions via Google so I hope someone will be able to help answer them.

1.) Does the new activation process have a step where it allows you to transfer your current number just like the old activation process?

2.) If so, should you cancel your current contract (mine is with Tmobile atm) AFTER you purchase & activate your iPhone? I heard that if you cancel before getting an iPhone, your number gets recycled and will not be yours anymore.

I've had my number for 7-8 years now and I really want to keep it so I just wanted to know. Thanks! :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
You need to call your provider first and get your PAC code (I think that's what it's called). Get your iPhone, call that provider and give them the code to transfer things over, then cancel the old contract. Here (UK) it takes about 2 days to all be sorted out (according to 02).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
Hello, I'm about to hop on the iPhone 3G bandwagon and had a couple questions before switching. I could not find answers to these questions via Google so I hope someone will be able to help answer them.

1.) Does the new activation process have a step where it allows you to transfer your current number just like the old activation process?

2.) If so, should you cancel your current contract (mine is with Tmobile atm) AFTER you purchase & activate your iPhone? I heard that if you cancel before getting an iPhone, your number gets recycled and will not be yours anymore.

I've had my number for 7-8 years now and I really want to keep it so I just wanted to know. Thanks! :Smirk:

I just got the i-Phone 3G yesterday and I was on T-Mobile. They took care of all that right there in the Apple Store. However, when I went home I gave T-Mobile a call to make that the phone number was indeed switched over to AT&T. They call the process "porting" the phone number over. They verified everything had been closed out for me while I was doing some additional housekeeping with the other phone lines on my T-Mobile family plan. I was shocked they didn't give me too much grief for switch over to AT&T. I probably was only because I have three other phone lines still with them. It took until the next day before my i-Phone worked properly with AT&T. Overall, it was a pretty painless process.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.