question about ibook clamshell

Reaction score
Ok...I'm about to upgrade my ibook that I got from a friend with a new HD and 512 memory. When I first got it and powered it up i got the mac face with a ? folder which told me the HD was screwed pretty much. So i decided to go a head and get a memory upgrade with my new HD. Now for the question before I took it apart and got it ready for the new parts I got it to start up off a software install disk that came with my Imac DV model I used to have, again figured the HD is boned because when I clicked install OS 9 it couldn't find a destination disk. I thought I might of been the fact that I boot from a disk that was for an Imac DV so I borrowed my friends OS 9.2 disk and couldn't get the Ibook to boot up from that CD. Am I going to hit major problems after I get my new parts in and try to install off the DV disk? Also any reason why it wouldn't boot from a mac OS 9.2 disk with no major scratches in it?

thanks for any answers/advice that would make my upgrade go more smoothly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
it depends on if the disc is retail or a disc designed for a particular machine. if it is the retail version you should be able to get it to work if it was a disc designed for another type of machine then you will need to get the retail version or the disc designed for your machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.