Need help from an expert...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Alright, so I recently purchased an eMac to toy around with, I got a decent deal off someone for craigslist, and I bought an airport extreme card offline for $25.

However, the system has been freezing up periodically since I purchased bought it. The airport card is unrelated.

One thing I noticed that could be a problem: the machine is registering 1.25 gigs of pc 2700 ram, but when I looked in the slots, one is a 256mb pc 2700, and the other is a 1 gig pc 3200. The 1 gig stick is registering under the system profiler as pc 2700.

Anyways, the machine freezes up a couple times a day and the only way to regain control is to manually shut the machine down by holding the power button down.

I know some of these machines had a recall with the video card.

It is a 1.25 ghz with a 9200 raedon, combo drive, and 10.3.

Can anyone bum me a copy tiger?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since the Bus of the system is running at PC2700 speeds, a PC3200 will show as a PC2700. So that in itself is not the issue. It could be a stick of RAM that is either bad or that the machine does not get along with.

As far as Tiger, it's against the law to burn a copy of Tiger and give it to anyone and thus against the rules here at Mac Forums.

I would suggest checking Ebay for a full install of Tiger. The freezing could be your OS instal is all messed up also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Use a matched pair of RAM. You can boost that eMac to 2 Gb, but you need a matched 1 Gb pair. Try OWC http://www.macsales.com/ for that. Check your eMac specs at http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/emac/stats/emac_1.25.html

Check that RAM seating, and the video card seating as well, although a kernel panic would be the likely result of loose connections.

Good luck working inside the eMac - it ain't easy. Get hold of every manual you can find (can help you there but not right now!). As for Tiger, go shopping.

OP
ByzantineRemnant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Yea, I dont want an illegal copy or anything like that, I just wondered if someone had one.

I go to lowendmac.com

they have system specs

So, any ideas why the system is freezing up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I would check this.....put the machine face down on a towel and open up the RAM door, and look for the shiney ends of the capacitors....if any are not flat (ie bulged outward) the machine needs repairs, I've got one eMac 1.25er that suffers from this issue and a second that doesn't, it's a known one and too bad Apple has ended the extended support for this, Only happens on the 1.25Ghz models and the indicators are, freezing randomly, no video, shoddy video etal, just flip it over and opeen that door and take a look at the ends of the capacitors.

The one out of two I have that has the bulged capacitor problem is going to a service center shortly to have the bad caps replaced.

OP
ByzantineRemnant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
^Yes, you are describing what is happening with it precisely.

I need to repair the connection pins?

Oh man...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Not connector pins, capacitors, however I"d just open up the bottom and take a look at the shiney ended things, if you do a Google search on the topic, you'll find valuable resources on it.

OP
ByzantineRemnant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Yea ok, Ive opened it up, and one of the capacitors has some brown discharge...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.