No Signal Bars When On 3G

Reaction score
There are no signal bars when I turn my new iphone to 3g under network in the settings. I turned off 3g and I get the full signal bars. What is the problem and how can I fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Do you live in a 3G area?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
This sounds like something that is going to come up alot, 3G isn't available everywhere the iPhone is sold unfortunately.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If it's anything like Verizon's EVDO network, you generally won't get signal bars - it's either on or its off. There is no half-way in between. At least that's how my phone works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Apple's website shows the phone with signal bars when the 3G icon is there...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Minis, iPhone 6/5S, iMac, Mac Book Pro
I live in a prominent 3G area in Orange County, CA. I have noticed the same thing. I just now turned off my 3G and low and behold, I get 5 bars. I don't think this has any relation to my linking with our WiFi home network.

Another thing. I went to a Starbucks yesterday to see how that worked. An icon showed up, but when I tried to activate, it would not load anything. Then, I went to iTunes and there was a message that told me that iTunes could only be accessed through WiFi. I was inside the Starbucks and using their service at the time.

Reaction score
AT&Ts 3G service is very spotty for most people. I can go two blocks away and get 5 bars on 3G and yet at my home. I get no 3G in my home, 2 bars in my yard. I can go in a back bedroom upstairs and get one bar under 3G.

If you see the 3G logo on your iPhone, you are getting 3G regardless if it is one bar or 5. Of course 5 bars is much better than one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
AT&Ts 3G service is very spotty for most people. I can go two blocks away and get 5 bars on 3G and yet at my home. I get no 3G in my home, 2 bars in my yard. I can go in a back bedroom upstairs and get one bar under 3G.

If you see the 3G logo on your iPhone, you are getting 3G regardless if it is one bar or 5. Of course 5 bars is much better than one.

Yeah, you are right about that. I have no 3G in immediate (Washington D.C. suburb) area yet. And the Edge service is spotty depending on the time of day and where I am located in my house. Crazy stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.