plug and play devices

Reaction score
I am trying to use an SD card reader to import photos. I've tried the instructions in iphoto but can't seem to find the external device. I've tried 2 different devices that say they are MAC compatible, so it is not likely a device problem. When I plug it in there is no prompt in either the iphoto import or in finder. Am I missing some permission in my configurations to allow plug and play devices. Ray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
When you plugged in your SD card, did a drive icon appear on your desktop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I am trying to use an SD card reader to import photos. I've tried the instructions in iphoto but can't seem to find the external device. I've tried 2 different devices that say they are MAC compatible, so it is not likely a device problem. When I plug it in there is no prompt in either the iphoto import or in finder. Am I missing some permission in my configurations to allow plug and play devices. Ray

Is this the first time you've used that card reader with your Mac, is it a new card reader, and has it been used in a Windows machine before being used in the Mac?

The card reader itself may be faulty, although you say that neither of two devices shows on your Mac. Try it in another computer. A second workaround is to connect your camera to your Mac with a USB cable.

I take it you've got photos on the camera card, so I suggest you get those off, using the photo processing facility at a pharmacy for example.

Once you've got the photos off, reformat that card using your camera menu. Then see if it'll mount to the Mac using Disk Utility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.