• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

mac school

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
First, this is a message board, not Chat so you may not see a response right away.

Second, I would say an iBook. There are extensive threads on this in the switcher area if you'd like to take a look.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
schweb said:
First, this is a message board, not Chat so you may not see a response right away.

Second, I would say an iBook. There are extensive threads on this in the switcher area if you'd like to take a look.

I agree on both counts.

more on the iBook, I think that the iBook would be best for school because it doesnt cost as much $, its more portable, not as hot, just over all more handy. I suggest the 12' because the 14' has the same resolution which means larger pixels = to lower quality (rite?).

If it makes you feel ne better, my next computer will be a ibook or equal to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I agree. I've been doing a lot of research into iBooks. I think that I will be getting one soon. The powerbooks are cool. But they are way overpriced. I would only need an iBook to do simple things away from my main machines. IE : Surfing, e-mail, some SSH'ing, itunes, and a few other other things. In keeping with that, I know that I won't be doing any video conversion or editing, and that was what I based my decision on.

Supposedly the G3 is better than the G4 anyway, and that is what Apple could be running with in future iBooks. The G4 just adds the Altivec stuff. Which, unless you do heavy number crunching, you probably won't use.

At least from my research :)

Oh yeah, I will get the 12" and NOT the 14". You don't really gain any desktop space from the 14" as it has the same 1024x768 resolution, on a bigger screen. Which means pixelation that you can see. Supposedly the 12" is THE iBook to get. If the 14" did 1280x1024 I would jump on that in a heartbeat, but it doesn't, so I am going 12" iBook.

Now to decide between the 800MHz or the 900MHz. Again, seeing as I would be doing simple things, I don't think I would need the 900 over the 800 for that. So I am leaning towards the 800MHz 12" iBook, which I will purchase a 512MB stick of RAM and an Airport card. Can't Wait :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
That's a beautiful machince Emrys. That's what I bought my sister for her graduation. There really is no difference between the 800 and 900....the RAM is much more important. I went with the 14" though, and really for what I do, I don't notice any difference in quality between that and the 12". I know I don't get any more space really, but I just wanted it bigger ;-).

My next big decision is whether to go with the G5 or to get an updated 15" PB when they come out. Oh decisions, decisions!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I bought an iBook for my wife to use in school. It worked out just fine. She was doing mainly, e-mail, researching on the internet and working reports of various types. During those two years it served her well. Now as a Social Worker, I expect it to continue to meet her needs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.