Server Help

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals,
Need some help researching/building a server (2 of them).
I am a graphic designer. My company has 2 offices, NY/LA. Both are in need up serious upgrades...(LA server is a G3) Looking for 2-3 TB of storage for each location. I am currently looking into rebuilding an older mac into a server but I am not sure about the storage capacity of some of the older G4's we have lying around. (Model # M8493 & M8570) Could these handle TB's of storage? Since cost is always an issue in small companies (only 8 of us) we are trying not to buy 2 brand new apple servers. I have built a few PC's b4, so I know my way around the insides of a computer. If we need to BUY new servers, we will, just trying to get all our options.
Any suggestions?
THX!

*M8570 is the # on the back of the mac, but I know it is a dual 1.25 ghz cpu, which would prob make it M8840LL/A, so Im a bit confused on that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Do you plan on running the Server OS or just using the word "Server" to imply that you want to store data in a central place?

Either way, 2-3TB is a lot of data, and a lot of data to backup. If you are suggesting using an old G4 to act as that location (running server OS or not) perhaps all you should invest in is a storage device. LaCie makes some decent products, and I know the Drobo (by Drobo) is also supposed to be nice. I'm sure there are cheaper solutions, but we're talking about your data right?

Like I said, backing up would be a concern, at least for me. So you might just need two of these,..

Firewire RAID

If you spec out a new Mac Pro with 2-3TB storage to be your "server" you're looking at several thousands of dollars. An XServe is ideal with a fiber channel RAID, but now you're at tens of thousands.

It's just money right?

OP
S
Reaction score
Hey, thanks alot! That is definatly an option. Im also thinking of getting a MAC-mini to replace the G3. Im going to have to make some calls to see if the G4 in NY could recognize the storage device, but this is in the right direction.
ty!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.