iPhone battery life almost gone after update

Reaction score
I have the gen1 iPhone and ever since I upgraded to the new software my battery life has drastically gone down. I mean I used to be able to go a couple days with moderate use and now after 8 hours or so it's getting down to the red. Anyone else experienced this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Is wifi on? And did you setup a push email account like mobileme or exchange? If you did then you will be getting alot more battery use. Change the updates from push to a lower frequency and your battery will last longer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Yeah, I think push is a big culprit for decreased battery life. Not sure if there are others that can be addressed in an update, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Wow so I'm not the only one. I barely get a day and everything is turned off. Plus the lagging keystrokes in texting, ringing phone that you cant actually answer, get out of the car and the handsfree still shows connected 10 mins later. What a bunch of buggy crap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
I never have any of those problems. You may have a bad phone.

OP
H
Reaction score
Yep, wifi on and push is set. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
My phone was working perfectly until the 2.0 "upgrade" er "downgrade?" so I know it isn't the phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
My phone was working perfectly until the 2.0 "upgrade" er "downgrade?" so I know it isn't the phone.

Well, if it happens to you, but not someone else with the same model, despite both of you having upgraded to 2.0, what else do you think it would be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Yeah, I think push is a big culprit for decreased battery life. Not sure if there are others that can be addressed in an update, though.

I thought push was supposed to INCREASE battery life by not having your phone constantly poll the system...

Reaction score
Ive been getting the same thing but I figure its just from me running the apps n playing games all the time lol. Especially with the lagged texts n stuff but I noticed mine only slowed when I had Aim on so since I didnt really use it that much anyways I just deleted it and everything works great now... Maybe it had something to do with it being logged on the whole time making it lag...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Battery life has been the same for me. Have you tried restarting the phone? If that didn't help, try doing another restore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
I thought push was supposed to INCREASE battery life by not having your phone constantly poll the system...

How do you not see the problem with your statement...Do you know what push is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
How do you not see the problem with your statement...Do you know what push is?

I thought it meant that instead of polling the server for new emails and contacts, the server contacts the phone when anything changes and applies those changes. I guess the out pushing features like changing contacts or calenders on your phone might drain more battery, but i don't see how in pushing features would.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
All these cool apps and 3D Games everyone is playing significantly hurts the battery life. Think about playing games on a laptop, if you normally get 4 hours of battery life, playing a game you get about 1 to 1.5. Turn WiFi and Bluetooth off if you don't need them that will help a lot too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
I thought it meant that instead of polling the server for new emails and contacts, the server contacts the phone when anything changes and applies those changes. I guess the out pushing features like changing contacts or calenders on your phone might drain more battery, but i don't see how in pushing features would.

That is not what push is. Push causes your phone to remain is nearly constant contact with the server. It is not just a matter of info being pushed TO the phone as any changes made on the phone are also pushed to the server. Also the server is not told a thing about your phone nor does it know how to talk to your phone. Your phone is checking in with it.

What push is, is your phone constantly polling the servers for updates. Not the other way around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is not what push is. Push causes your phone to remain is nearly constant contact with the server. It is not just a matter of info being pushed TO the phone as any changes made on the phone are also pushed to the server. Also the server is not told a thing about your phone nor does it know how to talk to your phone. Your phone is checking in with it.

What push is, is your phone constantly polling the servers for updates. Not the other way around.

I see. I thought I remembered apple at one of their conferences saying that push saved battery life. I guess this is not the case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Perhaps you need to do a little reading on what push is.

eliehass was correct, push should help increase battery life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perhaps you need to do a little reading on what push is.

eliehass was correct, push should help increase battery life.

ok, so im not crazy! I was really starting to doubt myself there, thanks for the support kash!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13inch white 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB RAM

I agree. 2.0 has really slowed down my iPhone. Contacts LAG like a you-know-what. Not impressed. MobileMe wont sync now. What gives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Theoretically, yes. Push would consume less power and less network resources when compared to the Pull/Fetch equivalent, which would be to constantly poll the server.

The iPhone has never done this, though. The most often you can poll the server automatically is every 15 minutes. While Push doesn't constantly poll the server, it does need to maintain the data connection to function properly. So ask yourself, if one puts their iPhone to sleep, with Push, the data connection remains active. With Fetch, it goes to sleep along with the rest of the iPhone, until called upon at the next interval. Along with my own experience, I'm not convinced Apple's implementation of Push increases battery life at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.