Best Personal Finance app?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz MacBook (4Gb RAM) + Dual 3.2 Xeon MacPro (16Gb RAM) + iPod Touch 32Gb
What are the best options for personal finance management on the Mac? It needs to be fairly easy to use as my wife and I will both be using it, and needs to support bank accounts, credit cards, bills, investments etc. No online banking plugins needed.

Horness

EDIT: I've just downloaded iBank which seems quite good. EDIT: Scrub that, it does not support multiple users sharing 1 data file from the Shared folder.

OP
Horness
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quicken for the Mac from Intuit, however, I'm not sure if it can be localized for your currency and banking system. Their web page:

http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance/mac-personal-finance.jsp

Regards.

Thanks for that. I've downloaded the statement from my bank and credit card account in QIF format, and am in the process of going through the many different apps (iBank, Quicken, Moneydance, MyMoney, MoneyWell to name but a few) and importing my data to have a play around with.

One thing that seems the same in all of them though is how unstable they feel. Quirky delays when moving around the interface, hanging in iBank for example, and in some cases the feeling of unfinished Windows shareware bolted on to the Leopard interface.

Next on the list is Squirrel :D

UPDATE - Out of all of the one's I've tried so far, Squirrel is is proving to be the most user friendly (remember my Wife will be using this too), and runs absolutely great on my 2.2 MacBook. On top of this - it's an Apple Design Award winner written by students! As it's in pre-release phase right now, the purchase price is about $11, and a limited trial is available for download.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad you found something that will work for you. Looks good and you certainly can't go wrong for $11.00.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
This is a real issue on the Mac. Quicken is buggy and slow, plus Intuit really doesn't deserve your money, as they've left Mac users hanging out to dry for years.

Money Dance is ok, but a bit ugly. I'd plump for iBank... I've been harsh on them in the past, but it's rapidly improving and now it's my main finance app (just nudged out MS Money on Windows). To speed up the interface massively, so to your preferences and select use small icons in the general preferences. The speed goes up 3 or 4 times.

OP
Horness
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've opted for Squirrel (http://www.squirrelapp.com/) in the end.

It may not be as "feature rich" right now as the other banking apps out there, but many of the nice features are on the development road map.
For a homebrew app it has a lot going for it, and deserves the small purchase price as respect to the developers alone.

In it's current form (V0.5.6) Squirrel supports QIF importing, basic account management, reporting, budgets, purchase categories, tagging and most of the functionality I was looking for. As it's been re-written for Leopard it feels and acts almost like one of the built-in apps from Apple, with simplicity in mind.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.