Broken 3g iPhone Glass... already :(

Reaction score
ive searched everywhere and no one is as stupid as me to begin with. i might be one of the first people to crack the glass on the 3g iphone. im trying to find a way to replace it myself but it does not look hopeful yet. i was wondering if anyone knows if the replacement glass for first gen iphone will work with the 3g? here is a picture of my iphone :( any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DSC01323.JPG

Reaction score
ouch. how'd you do that? trust me, with all the idiots I saw (as driving by) sitting in line over night for a phone, im sure you're not the first to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I hear you can really mess up the accelerometer if you take off the glass. I wouldn't try it yourself.

OP
B
Reaction score
i keep my phone on my lap when i drive, and i stopped to meet a friend and i stepped out of my car and it smashed on the ground screen first. i drive a jeep so it was a pretty high dive.

Reaction score
i keep my phone on my lap when i drive, and i stopped to meet a friend and i stepped out of my car and it smashed on the ground screen first. i drive a jeep so it was a pretty high dive.

makes sense.

-Jeep owner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, macbook, iphone4S, ipad2
I have no idea how to fix it - but I feel for ya man - that sucks big time. Good luck with it though.

Reaction score
ive searched everywhere and no one is as stupid as me to begin with. i might be one of the first people to crack the glass on the 3g iphone. im trying to find a way to replace it myself but it does not look hopeful yet. i was wondering if anyone knows if the replacement glass for first gen iphone will work with the 3g? here is a picture of my iphone :( any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If you purchased it with a credit card, chances are you are covered. Most credit card companies offer 90 days protection against theft and accidental damage. Check to see if yours does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Going to have to make notes to not do this in my jeep :D, or drive around with the doors off with it sitting on the passenger seat like I did with my wallet 2 weeks ago :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Yes, I had to stop using the tires as shelf to set things on. I suck when you forget something on there...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how does this occur?

No clue. I don't know how these things work. I won't assume that this is any old piece of glass covering the screen.

Engadget- According to the link for the site that sells the replacement screen and digitizer, they do not work on the 3G version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I don't know if original iphone screens will work on the 3g, i would assume so since they are the same size and everything.

you can find one for sale here: http://cnn.cn/shop/apple-iphone-complete-digitizer-p-1863.html

ive never bought from there so i cant say how reputable they are, but its just a thought. You might call apple and say something along the lines of, "if the glass were to break, how would I get it fixed?" and see what they say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
You and iPhone 3G...I guess it's just not ment to be...

:)

OP
B
Reaction score
Well see, i already took it apart with help from the disassembly guide, and the lcd detaches from glass, so i bought a iphone first gen glass replacement from ebay. My plan is to heat the sucker up and peel away the glass shards and hopefully it will be the same size. the only thing i worry about at this point is right beside the ear part there are 3 blue dots, they could be some type of light sensors. if so then im pretty much screwed in that department. any one know what these 3 dots are?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Probably the ambient light sensor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
You know never mind.

Btw, I think the sensors are there to turn the screen off when you put the phone up to your ear. At least on the 1st gen it did that.

Oh and also as Bry said, ambient light sensors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's definitely the sensor, which the first iPhone also had, so I would imagine the replacement would also have them.

Reaction score
i broke the screen on a 2 g iphone and the store exchanged it for new one. I told them that I was going to buy the new 1tb timecapsule then this happened and I can't do both, fix the iphone and get the time capsule. He spoke to a manger and they got me a new phone. I guess I have a great apple store near me with a good manager. I figure the close to 6000 ive spent on apple stuff, we was able to swing it.

Reaction score
iPhone 3g screen repair....finally a fix!

I had a similar glass breakage issue with the iPhone 3G and I was told by a friend about iPhone 3G Screen Repair. They fixed my iPhone 3G the same day they received it and had it back to me looking brand new. The best part is that their repair was only $75! I really recommend it!

-Cristi

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.