• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Quad core laptop processors, perhaps in a next rendition of the Mac Book Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5Ghz Penryn Processor, 4GB of RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, High Res LED 17" Screen
http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/15/intel-bringing-quad-core-cpus-to-laptops-next-month/

Whispers in the hallways of George Washington CPU High School indicate that Intel is primed to release a batch of quad-core laptop processors next month. There apparently isn't a ton of info on the happening right now, though Pioneer Computers (an Australian PC maker) is currently taking orders on a system equipped with a 2.53GHz Core 2 Extreme chip, the QX9300. Of course, one of Intel's regional marketing managers in Singapore, Sujan Kamran, says that, "We're bringing quad-core to mobile in August," so, uh... not a lot of mystery left, is there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Actually this is rather interesting stuff. As Imacs can in theory benefit from the same technology as well. Thank you for sharing.

OP
DarkKnight369
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5Ghz Penryn Processor, 4GB of RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, High Res LED 17" Screen
No problem. Of course, these don't sound like true mobile processors. So they may be powerful, but not the most power efficient. I could be wrong. I just remember back to my old Toshiba Laptop that has a 3Ghz processor and eats battery. It was before this duo's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", Core2Duo 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, OSX 10.5.4
They may put these into the iMac's as the iMac use laptop processors, Yay Quad-Core iMac :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
wow, and people think the macbook pro gets hot ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
My comment in the thread:

"I am not surprised. I think this getting a little ridiculous, no?

Does anyone need 4 cores? I would suspect 3 of the 2.8GHz cores in
my Mac Pro would be collecting dust if things ran as efficiently as
they should be.

I would prefer better written software over more processor cores or
GPU's. :)"

I am also not surprised because I started this thread a few months ago when it was rumored there would be mobile quad cores in a short while. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I do agree with you, more efficiently written software is the first thing needed with any multi core machine. But in the end of the day more raw power is always nice.

Cause back in the day people were saying no one needs more than 100Mhz. And look where we are now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True- However, if you were to put three computers next to each other and bench them, you'll be surprised....
Put 3 computers, 1- single core, 1- dual core, 1- quad core all running the same clock speed, say 2GHz next to each other and run iTunes, a single core app. Run a file conversion. You know which computer will finish the job fastest? You know which will take the longest?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Says the guy with the mac pro ;)

Really, I use my portable as a primary workstation quad core would be nice for some circumstances, but they'd better figure out the heat and power issues first or it would be more of a pain than a boon for me. Now, would we all be better off if code was leaner? Sure. But that won't stop hardware manufacturers from generating new equipment. We gotta make some money too ya know ;) It'd be a whole lot better if we had more effecient hardware AND codestreams :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I learned about the fault of the quad after purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Software isn't smart enough yet. Maybe Snow Leopard will fix the problem.
Apps that aren't threaded for multiple cores work slower than on a computer with a single core. Most apps are not threaded so they don't perform as well as they could. The more cores the computer has, the slower non-threaded apps perform.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
What would make more sense regarding speed and power consumption? Quadcore chips running a slower FSB than the desktop version, or Dual Core running the same FSB as a desktop?

Unless you're utilizing the other two cores, which I'm assuming most programs aren't optimized for, wouldn't having less cores with a faster FSB speed be more efficient?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.