Loading old programs from old Harddrive... Can it be done?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 1gbRam, 80GB HD OSX Leopard!
I am new to the whole DIY revolution here.
I have a macbook with an 80gb and I put a new 160gb in it when I upgraded to Leopard. I kept my old harddrive with an enclosure and haven't touched it in about a month. When I put the new 160gb in, I didn't clone the old one or anything, just installed a fresh osx.

I haven't been able to find some of my install discs for the programs on my old harddrive... so my question is: Can I install the programs on my old harddrive through an external enclosure onto my new harddrive, or do I need to start over and clone the old harddrive onto my new harddrive?

I don't have a FW enclosure, so that is why I avoided it in the first place, thinking I still had my old install discs!

Thanks for helping a noob!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OP
Headie*Threadie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Migration Assistant in Utilities will let you do that, it will copy over everything from your old user account on that machine alongside the applications

http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/migration.html

Thanks! I read your linkd and it says to connect the 2 with a firewire... I don't have one... will it still work? Thanks for that.. I guess I should have just gone to the apple site first! haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It can connect to an old mac via firewire, or any drive or volume connected to the mac, so a USB connected drive will work

It will ask you if the info you want is on a mac or a mounted drive, just choose the drive as the source

OP
Headie*Threadie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fantastic! That saves me so much time and worry! Now it will be like having a fresh new mac with my favorite programs on it. woohoo.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.