Backing up iPhone when syncing???

Reaction score
Everytime I sync my iPhone it does a backup. I don't know where it backs up to but my time machine was working part of the back up.

Anyone having the same problem, it wouldn't be a big problem if it didnt take 30 mins to back up!!

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Mine backs up too, but 30 minutes? Are you using USB 1.1 or something?

Reaction score
It's the Applications that are taking long to back up. The more apps, the longer your backup time will be.

If you have to do a restore sometime, the restore will restore all of your apps as well as the usual restore items.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro -- 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo / 2 GB Ram / 320GB HD -- iPhone 3G Black 16GB
yea mine takes 3-5 minutes at most. 30 minutes is very long.

OP
A
Reaction score
OK I tried deleting some of my apps. I know have 14 apps added. I dont think thats really alot. The backup was 14 minutes this time. Quicker but I still think its too long. Does it also back up music? If so I cant understand why as I already have the music on my macbook.

iTunes seems slower than usual as soon as I plug my iPhone in, lots more swirling balls than usual. Anyone else?

And I'm using USB 2.0 on a Macbook 2.16GHZ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 Ghz - 4Gig Ram - iPod 60gig Black - iPhone 3GS Black 32gig
OK I tried deleting some of my apps. I know have 14 apps added. I dont think thats really alot. The backup was 14 minutes this time. Quicker but I still think its too long. Does it also back up music? If so I cant understand why as I already have the music on my macbook.

iTunes seems slower than usual as soon as I plug my iPhone in, lots more swirling balls than usual. Anyone else?

And I'm using USB 2.0 on a Macbook 2.16GHZ

I have now switched off all of the auto syncing and manage it manually - the backing up was taking 20 minutes a time.

But itunes is still much slower with the iphone connected.

I made the mistake of renaming a track I had already added to the phone- 1 track - it took over 5 minutes, during which time i got nothing but the beach ball of death.

This is on a 1.9 G5, 2.5gig ram which works perfectly with my ipod without any of the lag the iphone seems to give it. (10.5.4 and 7.7)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB/250GB; MacBook 2.0GHz - 1Gb/80GB; iPod (video)60Gb
I tend to skip the backup stage most of the time, simply by clicking on the X in the Backup Window. It then proceeds to the syncing process.

Reaction score
i have the same problem with it taking forever to sync due to the backup (it took about 20 mins)
i don't really understand why having more apps would mean it takes longer to backup... aren't the apps saved on the computer's hard drive (it would seem to me that any syncing/backup would just involve settings within those programs)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
I wish the backups were regulated manually. I have about 20 apps and it takes a good 3-5 minutes to backup each time I sync.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I tend to skip the backup stage most of the time, simply by clicking on the X in the Backup Window. It then proceeds to the syncing process.

This is exactly what I do. Works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.6GHZ, 8Gig iPhone, 160Gig iPod Classic, 16Gig 3G iPhone Black
Iv noticed that since I applied the new software last night, the backups no longer take an eternity.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.