Macbook boots as soon as plugged into power

Reaction score
I've just started having a very strange Macbook problem. As soon as I plug my Macbook into the mains it boots (with the lid closed). I checked last night to make sure it was a dead as a dodo (and it was) when shutting down, but this morning when I plugged it back in it booted (on its own). Anyone come across this before, and if so is there a fix?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Under System Preferences> Energy Saver> Options is the box for 'Automatically restart after power failure' checked? That's all I can think of right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, does it still boot up on it's own if you force a shut down by holding down the power button instead of selecting shut down from the apple menu?

OP
G
Reaction score
I shut down with the power button and it starts normally. What does that signify?

Reaction score
You might not be letting the system totally shut down before closing the screen; putting it into sleep mode.

I have this same problem unless I wait a full ten seconds after the screen goes dark before closing my Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If what SamHigh said doesn't work then it sounds like your MacBook isn't shutting down properly and it's not a problem with the power button so it sounds like a software issue...

Are you under warranty?

OP
G
Reaction score
Well it could be the 10 second business. I'll give that a whirl. Sadly I'm not under warranty though. Still if its a software issue thats the lesser of the potential evils.

Reaction score
my mbp wakes from sleep when i plug it in, but if the lid is shut then the computer wakes but the screen doesnt, the only way to get the screen back on is a force shutdown. not quite the same problem, but could be something similar. anyone know how th solve this one?

OP
G
Reaction score
I've had more time to look at this problem. This is exactly what is happening (I should have been clearer with my original post...sorry). From 'cold', when I plug in the power the Macbook boots with the lid closed, but as with the above poster the screen doesn't. It requires a force shutdown/restart get it started probably. Does that change anyones opinion on this problem?

Could it be a Power Management Chip issue, and would resetting this help?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.