what's starting this Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac
usually don't shut down the mac after reading here on why not but last 2 nights i did shut it down only to go to use the following day and find it already running. kind of got me baffle as to how this machine is turning itself on, only user at present, in fact i been the only one near it. when i first notice it i was second guessing myself but not the second as to turned it off just to see if would wake up and find it running, any thoughts? is it something in system preferences out of adjustment or is it possessed? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
The only way it will turn on by itself is through the System Preferences>Energy Saver>Options>Schedule.

Otherwise you aren't turning it off. Perhaps you are only putting it to sleep.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac
for shutting it down. i was clicking on the apple, then shut down and then are u sure, always used this method to shut it down. maybe this was changed to putting the sleep somehow, idk, don't have as much time as want to be up to date or figure out all new changes. also will check out what u mentioned in system preferences, this sounds more realistic being maybe something was changed somehow(know it wasn't me), thanks for getting back btw,just checked system preferences and see where i have restart checked if there is power failure, maybe this could be reason and being i lost power while it was shutdown (i'll figure it out).

Reaction score
It could be a power related problem, that System Preferences setting will sometimes get the Mac to start even with a voltage surge. Definitely get a UPS, it doesn't have to be huge, just something to clean up your juice. It will pay for itself if you have flaky power!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac
It could be a power related problem, that System Preferences setting will sometimes get the Mac to start even with a voltage surge. Definitely get a UPS, it doesn't have to be huge, just something to clean up your juice. It will pay for itself if you have flaky power!

didn't even think to go outside the computer so this is good, and seeing your post got me thinking it's the surge protector (notice the light fading in and out, and plus it's pretty ancient). so will do this and see what happens or doesn't. btw not sure if these things actually work if do have that big surge (gotta check this out) but anyway thanks for this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
got me thinking it's the surge protector (notice the light fading in and out, plus it's pretty ancient)

You're on to it - that s-p light is an indicator that the unit needs replacing. BTW, are you operating a powered USB hub from that s-p? Voltage fluctuations to a powered hub may cause it to kick the computer into life, happens sometimes with my b/w G3.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac
had never heard of a ups so been checking em out and sounds like thing to do, gonna go with the ordinary (with a surge protector), and thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.