Installing linux from hard drive on mac os x

Reaction score
I recently purchased a macbook pro for college and right now i'm at football camp. I decided that in my downtime at camp i would mess around with it and install linux on it. I've read that there are ways to install linux from your hard drive onto windows based pc's but i havent been able to find a way to install it on a mac without a dvd. any suggestions? thanks

Reaction score
You'd have to boot the iso. I vaguely remember someone doing it, once... but generally its more trouble than it's worth. Look into VirtualBox to try it out, dual boot later if you like a particular distro.

OP
M
Reaction score
exactly what i did. i downloaded vmware. the reason i wanted to get linux on my box was so i could see how long it would take aircrack to crack my wep key on my wireless network at home, but i seem to be having some trouble installing aircrack on my virtual linux machine. it's probably pretty simple to do but not only am i new to mac i am also new to linux. my laptop is a 15" macbook pro 4,1 2.4 ghz intel duo core. the only wep cracking program i've heard about for mac cpus is kismac and the don't have any versions available for the new macbook pros...any suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.