Slow Safari & Dropped AirPORT

Reaction score
Hi,

Something really strange is going on with my iMac... until yesterday I had faultless internet connection via the built in AirPort to a wireless router.

However, today I have the slow blue line on Safari, web pages failing to load and constantly dropping my AirPort connection.

I have a Mac Mini running Tiger and all is 100% fine with Safari and AirPort wireless connection.

I have looked at a few posts on hear and with my limited understanding I cannot find a solution to my problems.

I have tried going to MacHD>library>preferences>systemconfiguration and dragged that folder to the desktop. Then doing a restart and nothing changed.

I also tried to solve the problem by opening up Network preferences, and selecting the advanced tab. Under TCP/IP and under the settings for Configure IPv6 I turned it off, completely off. This had no effect and the problem is still there.

I installed iStumbler and found only one network but at 33% signal strength - so again no problem with AirPort searching/roaming for another wireless network.

Can anyone suggest how I solve this problem. I have no idea what has changed in the last few days - as mentioned all was well with Safari and AirPort until today.

Thanks,

David_G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Try unplugging your router for a few minutes. Perhaps a hard reboot is all it needs. Do the same for your cable modem (or whatever modem you are using for internet service).

If that doesn't work, then try connecting to the router with a wired connection and see if there's a difference.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi,

I have tried unplugging my router, but a reboot did not solve the problem. I ran a cable to the router and all appears to be working fine - so I guess this means it is a software problem?

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
If you haven't changed anything on the Mac, I'd say it was the router.

Try restting it back to factory settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree with Alexis. You may have some wireless settings gone astray. Reset to factory defaults and go from there.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi,

I have narrowed the problem down... I have my iMac within inches of my wireless router and I have full AirPort signal strength on my Mac and this is confirmed by iStumbler rating the signal at 98%!

Now I think this means either my wireless router or AirPort card within my iMac is at fault.

How can I test to see which is at fault? My instinct is to say the AirPort card in my iMac is at fault, as my Mac Mini has no wireless problems.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try reseating the Airport card... perhaps the antenna or something has come loose.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.