D40 newbie help.

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD
I've just managed to get a nice new Nikkon D40 and have read some online help and hints and I've managed to get a reasonable 'P' setting which gives nice pictures.
I've even managed to work out the fancy flash settings.

But I just can't get decent action pictures.

Nothing particularly fancy but my parents have gotten a new kitten so I've got the perfect subject to practice on.

This is one of the best results I'd had.

DSC_0269.jpg

can anyone offer any helpful hints or even a decent setup.

I've tried Shutter priority mode but it just says subject too dark.????

OP
J_K

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Basil's quite a pretty little cat...

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0229.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
Well you need fast shutterspeed to get action pictures i presume. Have you tried the action preset on the camera itself (the one that looks like a man running) ? I have the exact same model of camera but havent experimented with action shots that much really.

OP
J_K

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't.

That did strike me as I was typing in the first thread but the blasted cats asleep now lol.

Reaction score
The reason that your images are coming out dark in Shutter Priority mode is because you are choosing a fast exposure time which doesn't allow sufficient light to enter the sensor to create well balanced exposures.

Continue shooting in P mode, and when your shutter speed is less than 1/50, you will either need a tripod, or open the flash so that you can catch action shots, and eliminate camera blur.

I recommend checking out books on photographic techniques, and/or searching on Google for the Basics of Photography so you can learn the technical aspects of photography.

Best of luck,
-AC

OP
J_K

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Did you get the SB-400 flash?

If so use that with your P setting and you can also tilt the flash upward while using.

You can also use the S setting but you'll notice that while the closest of things are visible, the backround is or goes to black.

In addition to this put the camera in continuous shot mode, so that when you press and take the shot, if you hold the button down, it'll take 2.5+ shots per second. Another good thing to do.

Play, you'll get the shot and your not wasting film! I cannot say enough about www.kenrockwell.com for that camera. I have one as well.

OP
J_K

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kenrockwell.com is where i got my P setting from :D

I am using the multi shot mode. you never know whats gonna happen.

I didn't get the flash with it. Just the camera. I'm looking around for a flash but they're pretty expensive. I have been thinking about a macroflash but that won't help for bigger pictures..

It's a great camera. I'm not getting frustrated with it because I know it's me thats at fault not the camera.

Reaction score
How much is the SB-400?

I have it (bought as part of a package) and I think it's awesome. The built in one is ok, but you cannot deflect and I hat washed out subjects. Yeah I know that's what photo editing is for...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Put the camera on Aperture Priority mode, Turn your ISO up to 400-600 and shoot with the Aperture at the smallest number possible. You can look up how to do all of this in your manual.

OP
J_K

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ah.
OK.
Thanks.

Now wheres the cat...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"MacBook 1.8GHZ Core Duo, 1.25 GB RAM, 120 GB HD". / "G4 1.2 GHZ, 512 MB RAM, 80GB HD"
Its a beautiful camera I have the exact same model, the option with the man running is really good and it helps. Also check out this video it helped me a lot when I started with the action pictures:

**Click Here**

Hope this one helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.