Overheating

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I bought my 15" MBP (2.4ghz, 4gb ram) about 2 months ago, and I had read a lot of people complaining about the heat. For the first few days, I thought it might have been exaggerated, but now that summer is in full swing, I know exactly what they are talking about. I rarely ever use anything intensive, unless you consider safari, mail, messenger and adobe reader intensive usage. My fans never go up over 2000rpm, as you would expect when not doing anything intensive, but the case gets way too hot to use on your lap. Although I agree that the Apple engineers are competent enough to regulate the heat (to avoid damage), I want my *notebook* to also be a laptop, so I rev up the fans using smcFanControl when I want to use it on my lap.

You should consider taking it back to Apple. It really shouldn't be getting too hot so as to be uncomfortable on your lap if you're using it for non-intensive tasks. There is a known problem with some units where the thermal compound was applied in an overzealous manner, resulting in inefficient cooling. Some intrepid owners have actually removed and reapplied the compound with astounding differences in temps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 7200RPM 200GB
You should consider taking it back to Apple. It really shouldn't be getting too hot so as to be uncomfortable on your lap if you're using it for non-intensive tasks. There is a known problem with some units where the thermal compound was applied in an overzealous manner, resulting in inefficient cooling. Some intrepid owners have actually removed and reapplied the compound with astounding differences in temps.

Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately, there are no Apple stores even remotely close to where I live. The closest one is two provinces over (in Ontario), which is about a 24 hour drive each way hah!

I wonder if Apple authorized resellers are able to work on Macs?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately, there are no Apple stores even remotely close to where I live. The closest one is two provinces over (in Ontario), which is about a 24 hour drive each way hah!

I wonder if Apple authorized resellers are able to work on Macs?

Just make sure they are an Apple authorized service provider. If so, they should be able to do warranty work.

More information:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/20/new-macbook-pros-still-overheating-due-to-misapplied-thermal-gre/

http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=MacBook_Pro#Before_and_After

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro Intel i5 2.53GHz, 4GB, 500GB, nVidia GT330m. iPhone 4S 16GB
thats a myth

I appreciate it, its good to hear that they don't run extremely warm. Thanks for the quick response :)

mine has hit 81c when i am converting a video file, and close to that when playing spore...

it does get a bit hotter again when on charge...

Unless you like a sweaty lap get a cooler...

OP
R
Reaction score
I'm still reading all of this, so far it seems like the MBP was designed to run cool, but the "overzealous" application of the compound inside can cause problems. I'm glad to hear that it can be fixed rather simply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, Santa Rosa Penryn 2.5 Core2Duo, 250 gig HDD, 2 Gigs, 512 G8600
yea i'm gonna go to the genius bar and see what could be up with this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update ... so i have been running some custom fan controls. Upping the speed to just under 3000 rpm when i'm running the computer on plugged in more operation keeps the processor about 5 to 15C cooler than without.

OP
R
Reaction score
I'm still loving the updates, this thread is beginning to be a good compilation of info on overheating/cooling. Apparently a LOT of people have these same questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm still reading all of this, so far it seems like the MBP was designed to run cool, but the "overzealous" application of the compound inside can cause problems. I'm glad to hear that it can be fixed rather simply.

Well the vent in the back is honestly really big for a laptop ... as anyone else seen anything that large before on a mobile machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
I always use my notebook on a hard surface on my lap such as a chill pad or a wooden board I had made just for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (17" Unibody, 2.93GHz, 8GB DRR3, 320GB 7200, Anti-Glare Screen)
I find an easy solution is to put my laptop on a placemat (like the ones you would use at the dinner table) while using it on a bed, carpet, or anything of a similar nature. This gives the unit a little lift off the ground, providing more space to kick out heat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
How to check MBP temps?

OK, I have been reading this thread with great interest. I have a two month old MBP - 15.4, 2.4, 5400rpm - so far the only programs added are Microsoft Office basic for Mac and Photoshop Elements 6. Here on this forum I read about the best way to preserve the life of the battery so when at home I use my MBP plugged in the electrical mains. Last night I used my MBP for about two hours (plugged in) and the bottom of my MBP near where the magnetic power cord plugs in became pretty hot. My dumb - newbie question is: "how do you check the temperature?". Do you download software to take over the cooling fans operation? Is there software already on the MBP to check temps at various sites inside the machine? Is there software available to check the temps but not take over the fan operation. Also - I never "hear" the fans on my MBP - is that unusual? Thanks for reading and/or responding!
Bill

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I have been reading this thread with great interest. I have a two month old MBP - 15.4, 2.4, 5400rpm - so far the only programs added are Microsoft Office basic for Mac and Photoshop Elements 6. Here on this forum I read about the best way to preserve the life of the battery so when at home I use my MBP plugged in the electrical mains. Last night I used my MBP for about two hours (plugged in) and the bottom of my MBP near where the magnetic power cord plugs in became pretty hot. My dumb - newbie question is: "how do you check the temperature?".

I use iStat Menus. They can display a variety of different information, including temperature readings from all the different thermal sensors in your machine.

Do you download software to take over the cooling fans operation?

I would recommend against it.

Is there software already on the MBP to check temps at various sites inside the machine? Is there software available to check the temps but not take over the fan operation. Also - I never "hear" the fans on my MBP - is that unusual? Thanks for reading and/or responding!
Bill

The fans are very quiet. I can't say that I've ever heard them, besides just a faint whisper - but rest assured, they're working. If they weren't, your machine wouldn't be very stable.

I'd just like to reiterate a very important point here - and that is; Modern notebook computers are designed to run warm, particularly notebooks of the same class as the MacBook Pro. It is not unusual for a high end notebook to run so warm that it is unusable under moderate to heavy load, on your lap. In my experience, the MacBook Pro runs warm, but should never get uncomfortably so - if it is, I'd recommend taking it to Apple to have them look at it.

Also keep in mind that ambient temperature has a lot to do with how well the machine can dissipate heat. Personally, I keep my home at 72 degrees year round. So, what applies to me might not apply to someone who leaves the windows open and routinely uses their machine in an 80 degree environment with 78% humidity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
Thanks "cwa107"

cwa107,

Thanks for the quick and comprehensive reply to my questions on MBPs and overheating!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP, 2.4ghz Penryn, OSX 10.5.6, 200gb HDD, 4gb ram; 32gb iPod Touch
I run smcFanControl to regulate the temperature on my MBP. When I use the computer moderately, I keep my rpms at 2500, but when running more intensive programs (depending on the program), I will up the rpms to 3250 or 4000. I try to keep my computer under 125 degrees F. I'd hate to have things melt inside the case, if that's possible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.