airport express configuration

Reaction score
Please see the attached configuration file. Here's my problem

Neither the Macbook nor the PC can see Airport Express (AE) unit #1 unless it is plugged into the DLINK router via an Ethernet cable. I called Apple support and was told that I definitely could not use AE unless it was hardwired into the router because it is configured to add to an existing wireless network rather than configured to be a new wireless network (a new wireless network may not be an option given the PC and DLINK in the picture).

When I tried to add AE#2, the Airport Config utility made me choose between #1 and #2, it would not allow me to add AE#2 as an additional wireless unit. When I did that, I lost all ability to communicate with either AE unit.

I had to take AE#2 out (unplug it) and then connect to AE#1 with an Etherned cable (to the Macbook) and reconfigure it for "add to existing wireless network".

I am back to where I started
- AE#1 connected to the DLINK via an Ethernet cable
- a PC connected to DLINK via Ethernet (it is not wireless enabled)
- a Mac talking to the DLINK wirelessly, not AE#1 (at least I <think> that is what I have)
- a printer and my stereo #1 connected to AE#1
- both the PC and Macbook can use the printer and stream to stereo #1 (where I was before trying to add AE#2)
- AE#2 is invisible to the Macbook (I think that I will have to reset it or connect it to the Macbook to set it up like AE#1 but I have no idea what will happen)

Here's what I want to do. Keep AE#1 as it is but add AE#2 to control my upstairs stereo. However, there is no Ethernet upstairs and I am unwilling to run a cable up there simply to access a >> wireless <<< device.

What am I missing here when it comes to AE? I purchased both units about 2 months ago and have the latest firmware upgrades.

View attachment configuration.pdf

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.