Fan Speed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro March 2008; 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4gb DDR2 ram, 320GB 7200rpm HDD, 8600GT 256mb
Hey guys, my first post here. I had my MBP since March and it has been running smoothly ever since. I had installed many different types of software since then and yesterday I decided to do a clean install of OS X. Before the format my default fan speed was at 2000 rpm. Now the minimum default fan speed is 3050 rpm. Its louder than what it was before and I was just wondering if this is something apple did put on in their new update or if its something else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Ghz 17 inch
Hey guys, my first post here. I had my MBP since March and it has been running smoothly ever since. I had installed many different types of software since then and yesterday I decided to do a clean install of OS X. Before the format my default fan speed was at 2000 rpm. Now the minimum default fan speed is 3050 rpm. Its louder than what it was before and I was just wondering if this is something apple did put on in their new update or if its something else.

what software do you use now?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Normal default fan speed (for both) should be ~1800 RPM. The reason your fan speed is higher is because you re-installed the operating system (why, I don't know - OS X is not Windows) and now your file system is being indexed by Spotlight.

It'll take awhile before all the files are indexed and then the CPU won't have to work as hard allowing the fan speeds to slow down and return to normal.

Regards.

OP
LilMoh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro March 2008; 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4gb DDR2 ram, 320GB 7200rpm HDD, 8600GT 256mb
Thanks a lot for the replies, do you have any estimate on how long it would take for it to go back to 2k rpm?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina MacBook Pro (15")
You can always go the power user route and download SMC Fan Control:

http://homepage.mac.com/holtmann/eidac/software/page5/page5.html

For safety reasons, it only lets you control the minimum fan speed. If your Macbook Pro gets too hot, the fans will still crank themselves up a bit on their own. However, I have found that merely having this small app installed and running tends to generally keep the fans a bit more tame. It might help, it may not. At least you can see your CPU temp.

My second recommendation, get a chill mat. And take the time to do a little research online to find a good quiet one. I use my MBP for 9+ hours per day at work, and it keeps the heat and fan speeds well under control.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.