Looking for Bluetooth Device and iPhone 3G Case Recommendations

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
So I have the 16G, black, iPhone 3G and am STILL waiting on the Zagg Invisible Shield protection films that I pre-ordered on June 28th... yeah, I'm a little p*ssed.

I still would like to get some sort of wrap-around case to give me some added protection against nicks, scratches, and some impact cushioning if I ever drop it. I went to the Apple store today and the choices were pretty weak, IMO. The two I tried were the Belkin black leather case and some other brand that was pretty much the same type, color of case but had the belt clip on the back. Oh, and they both had white stitching that I didn't like either. I wasn't a fan of the bulkiness of either and I'm not looking really for a clip. Should I be looking at leather, neoprene, other? I def want to stay w/ the black color. What do you guys have or recommend?

Also, I am looking for a new Bluetooth earpiece. I had a Motorola one but the sound quality was pretty crappy. I would like one that has some sort of noise-canceling aspect w/o going too overboard on price. Maybe under $100?

Reaction score
You really can't go wrong with Contour's cases. I've had them on all of my iPods as have my dad and sister. Never any problems. My iPod video died on me before the case could give out...about 2 1/2 years strong.

I've not owned an iPhone (mine's ordered and on its way soon...hopefully) but I'm headed straight for the Contour cases as soon as it arrives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Honestly, I wouldn't get a Bluetooth headset at all. I'd get a stereo headset that plugs into the jack; you'll get superior sound quality regardless, more control, nothing extra to worry about charging the battery for, be able to seamlessly listen to music, answer calls, and return to it, AND get stereo sound for the call rather than mono. If you want something to block out the outside, I'd go for the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 4vi; Ultimate Ears makes great in-ear phones, and that "noise cancelling" stuff is usually just one step above voodoo; what you really want is actual, physical sound isolation. I've heard the V-Moda Vibe Duo is okay as well, but not quite as good sound-quality wise. What I personally did was take a pair of cheap ($10-25 depending on where you get them) but wonderful-sounding Koss KSC75 headphones, and solder the included iPhone headphone and mic/clicker cable onto the drivers. Very comfortable, great sounding headphone/headset for less than $50, even if you INCLUDE the price of the soldering equipment.

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
I did like the Contour cases I saw, but apparently so did everyone else as they were on a 1-2 week back-order! And I'm liking that idea of the stereo headset, especially the fact that it works like the included headset and can answer calls. I'll have to do some more research...

Reaction score
The Ultimate Ears headphones are great. Just beware that if you're hard on your headphones they won't last long. I've found that UE makes a fairly delicate pair of in ear monitors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello,

I'm thinking of getting the bluetooth headphones, but i must say that my 3G is giving me quite a bit of bluetooth trouble.

At first it didn't find any other devices, used this to solve the problem -
http://www.fixya.com/support/t786474-iphone_3g_bluetooth_problem

I really want wireless headphones, if i can't use the bluetooth, what is my next option?

Thank you,
Lin.

If it's any consolation, all wireless headphones currently on the market are pretty sucky in sound quality compared to their wired counterparts. Sennheiser apparently makes some halfway decent ones, but even they're not great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Ultimate Ears headphones are great. Just beware that if you're hard on your headphones they won't last long. I've found that UE makes a fairly delicate pair of in ear monitors.

Yeah, the only IEMs I've ever seen that seemed really durable were my Shure E2cs, and they're definitely not the best sounding things out there. And the I2c version isn't for the iPhone anyway, despite having a mic. This is one of those things that REALLY makes me wish all IEMs had detachable cables, so someone could just make iPhone cables with the mic/clicker attached.

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
Well, I went w/ the Contour Design HardSkin case in black. Great, easy-fit for my iPhone 3G. Has a hard plastic interior but the feel and look of a rubber or silicone outside. Already dropped my phone once and this thing took the beating instead of my $300 investment inside! Ordered direct from Contour Design online.
http://contourcase.com/hardskin/hardskiniphone3G/

And as far as a Bluetooth piece goes, I went w/ the Jabra SP5050 Bluetooth speakerphone. It is like an oversized earpiece that clips on to my visor in my X. Sound quality is good but I do wish it was a bit louder. Picked it up at BestBuy for about $90.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...P5050&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1203815723470

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I went w/ the Contour Design HardSkin case in black. Great, easy-fit for my iPhone 3G. Has a hard plastic interior but the feel and look of a rubber or silicone outside. Already dropped my phone once and this thing took the beating instead of my $300 investment inside! Ordered direct from Contour Design online.
http://contourcase.com/hardskin/hardskiniphone3G/

And as far as a Bluetooth piece goes, I went w/ the Jabra SP5050 Bluetooth speakerphone. It is like an oversized earpiece that clips on to my visor in my X. Sound quality is good but I do wish it was a bit louder. Picked it up at BestBuy for about $90.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...P5050&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1203815723470

I'd say you should take back the Jabra, go out and get Belkin's original iPhone headphone adapter with teh built-in mic (ten bucks at my local Target), and plug that into either a cassette adapter or aux-in port. Way, WAY cheaper, and way better, because it works through your actual speakers that way, so you can pump it up as loud as you want.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.