iWorks vs. Office

Reaction score
Ok, I just finished reading many reviews on both suits of software and I am more confused than ever. One question... Is iWorks compatible with WORD?? Can I open up my existing .doc in Pages?? Can I save as .doc in Pages??

Thanks!!

Kim

OP
D
Reaction score
what is this that I hear... you have to first save the .doc as a pages file, then convert it back?? OR is this wrong??

AND....the Apply store told me I could download a free trial of iWorks but I cannot find it... I just see online where I can buy it.... anyone know where the trial is??

Kim

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ok, I just finished reading many reviews on both suits of software and I am more confused than ever. One question... Is iWorks compatible with WORD?? Can I open up my existing .doc in Pages?? Can I save as .doc in Pages??

Thanks!!

Kim

iWork08 is compatible with the *.DOC format (and other Office formats) in that it can read and write to them. However, iWork08 will not save to the Office format by default. That option has to be chosen each time you save a file. Rather a bother to me, but it might not be for you.

I believe you will also need an update to iWork08 in order to read and write to the newer Office 2007 file formats. (docx, etc.)

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Whenever someone sends me a docx file, I have to email them and tell then to save it as a doc... one of the quirks for office 2007... does the latest version of office for mac save as docx too??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Whenever someone sends me a docx file, I have to email them and tell then to save it as a doc... one of the quirks for office 2007... does the latest version of office for mac save as docx too??

Yes it will. I have Office 2008 (a must for my work) and iWork08 plus Office 2007 on my PC. Of the three, Office 2007 for Windows blows the other two awayyyyyyy. In my humble opinion of course. :Cool:

I have since removed iWork08 and only use Office 2008.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
I really don't like the fact that it saves as .docx. Everyone I will be communicating with will have an older version of Office. In iWorks, you have to save as a pages file, then export as a doc... leaving two files on your HD... In office 2008 can you save just as a .doc and not have .doc and .docx on your HD?? I am looking to only save as .doc easily... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
didjaever,

chscag did say, "Yes it will," but didn't say it HAD to be saved in .docx. You can select .doc if you prefer by using "Save As" on the 2008 menu. It will save in .docx, .doc, .dotx, .dot, .rtf, .txt, .htm and .pdf So lots of choices, and like chscag, I prefer the Office versions too - I use 2007 in Windows and 2008 in OS X.

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB
Yea if there's one thing MS owns Apple in, its Office

OP
D
Reaction score
I think I am just going to go with office... if I bring one thing over from Windows, it will be office... just wish they offered a trial... another Microsoft decision :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.