MBAir vs.MBP in trade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
I currently have a 15" MBP 2.2 bought new feb 08. I have been offered a MBAir in equal trade that was new april 08. Owned by a lawyer that claims to have only used it once and switched to MBP's. I like both and can not decide on which one. I use my lap top mostly at home and not for heavy duty stuff. I do not use the disc drive alot. I have no is=dea how you load things dic wise on the air. I do think they look awesome but my 15 inch mbp is real nice as well. Any opinions out there...This is a local transaction...

update: I don't know much about either the mbp or air as I only just got the pro.

Reaction score
for $1899 you can get a MBA with garbage specs.
for $1899 you can get a MBP with AMAZING specs.

clear yet?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There are quite a few disadvantages to the MacBook Air. Quite frankly, I can't see any advantage in owning one over a MacBook Pro unless portability and size are of utmost importance. Among the disadvantages are:

1. The slowest Mac in Apple's current line-up. This includes the Mac Mini.
2. Non-upgradeable RAM (you are stuck with 2GB for the life of the machine).
3. Smallest hard drive in the Mac line-up at 80GB or 64GB SSD. Upgrading will not be easy either as it requires a fairly obscure form-factor. Also, if it fails, finding a replacement may be very difficult out of warranty.
4. Non-user-replaceable battery. You must take it into an Apple store for replacement.
5. Lack of ports - there is a single USB port for any external devices. This means hooking up an external hard drive for backups will limit you to very slow transfer speeds.

These might not be a huge deal for a lot of people, but if this is your primary computer, it can be very limiting. If you don't travel very frequently, I can't see the appeal of this model other than as a fashion statement.

Reaction score
lmao, i also remember a day when i thought to myself.. "why dont i buy a MBA and do all my music production on it!" lol.. what a fail that would've been

OP
MACGIRL34
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
Thanks guys I really appreciate your help. I have decided to keep the MBP. I may get an air later just to try it out but the MBP stays...again thanks!

I like the air for the looks and portability but the MBP specs blows the air out of the water. It's a hobby of mine to try all the macs and the air is the only one I have not had in the last few years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.