8gb Vs 16gb iphone

Reaction score
I would personally like a 16gb iphone so I can put more music and video's on my iphone, but they are more difficult to get hold of where I am at the moment that the 8gb and im wondering if an 8gb model will suffice?

How much data (eg how many songs, movies) can i store on a 8gb iphone?

Any of you have regrets and wish you had the 16gb over the 8gb iphone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I don't mind having 8GB - just means I don't take all 15GB of my music with me everywhere - and to be fair I don't listen to all of it all of the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
im wondering if an 8gb model will suffice?
Only you can answer that. It all depends on how much you want with you at any one time. If you really want the 16gb, then hold out for it. There's no sense in buying what you don't really want.

OP
I
Reaction score
its going to be with me for 18 months and i have lots of data so im just going to hold out for the 16gb model to be able to have that extra storage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It's a little crazy to buy something you don't really want just to get it a couple days sooner. You're going to have it for a very long time (hopefully), so holding out a few days isn't that bad when you think about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
I have 19gigs of just music and thats after trimming down stuff that i don't listen to anymore.

For me 16gigs was a no brainier, In fact I wish apple came out with a 32gb model, I am sure in 6-12 months there will be one but oh well.

Buy what you can afford and when you can afford it, there is always something newer faster and better around the bend.

Reaction score
I can fill the biggest iPod classic with my music collection. I learned after my first iPod (gen 2) that the beauty of the iPod was in the interface, not in how much it could hold. I've been playlisting ever since.

I bought an 8GB and it will be more than sufficient for me, but like I said, I make playlists for almost each day (takes 2 or 3 minutes) based on what mood I'm in before I head out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Alu 13.3 Inch , 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 duo , 2.2gb 667 DDR2 SDRAM & Ipod Touch 16gb
If I got a hold of a 8GB. You will never hear the end of my complaining of insufficient space. My music mood is very odd. I like to carry my whole library of music with me at all times. And I like having my vacation pictures and videos in my iTouch. ( Would want the same thing on my iPhone. )

Anyway. 8GB just seems too small. Like skaheadpunk said. It all depends on you.

Reaction score
If I got a hold of a 8GB. You will never hear the end of my complaining of insufficient space. My music mood is very odd. I like to carry my whole library of music with me at all times. And I like having my vacation pictures and videos in my iTouch. ( Would want the same thing on my iPhone. )

Anyway. 8GB just seems too small. Like skaheadpunk said. It all depends on you.

Yep I agree. That's why they ended up making the classic so large. However, for many that have a large music collection 16GB is going to be just as insufficient as 8GB.

I guess I figured that since I couldn't fit the whole thing (or anywhere remotely close) that I may as well save $100. To each his own though, different strokes for different folks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 Ghz - 4Gig Ram - iPod 60gig Black - iPhone 3GS Black 32gig
There isn't going to be an iphone any time soon that can fit all of my music on so I decided to get the 8. I restrict myself to about 4 gig of music - thats still about 900 tracks, or 60 - 70 albums worth.

It really makes you think about whether you will listen - and I still have my ipod for the bulk of my music.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
I think I, along with a lot of other iPhone users will be doing a lot more with AOL Radio. I'm surprised apple let AOL put it on their phone because it will definitely hurt the iTunes Store, at least in my case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 Ghz - 4Gig Ram - iPod 60gig Black - iPhone 3GS Black 32gig
I think I, along with a lot of other iPhone users will be doing a lot more with AOL Radio. I'm surprised apple let AOL put it on their phone because it will definitely hurt the iTunes Store, at least in my case.

Even better is last fm - its like having an infinite ipod wherever you go - only issue of course if the drain on battery power from streaming....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
Coming from a Treo with a 2 GB SD card, I don't know how to act with 8GB of space. :D Plus as someone else has already mentioned, how often to you listen to all of the music a a fully loaded i-Tunes collection. I just make a couple of playlists with a total of about 500 or more songs and I'm good to go. However, I think it all comes done to personal preference.

Reaction score
Yep, I find that I dont change my initial playlists/songs whole bunch. Podcasts are the way to go for me. Always fresh beats to listen to/movies to watch/ stuff to read. and now all these phat apps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I have a 16gig, and I could carry nearly my whole music collectionand no videos on it. But if I were honest with myself, some of this stuff, I will never listen to again anyway. I could have enough on here to never miss my full library. Even with the 8, if I spent a lot of time picking and choosing, I probably could.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB/250GB; MacBook 2.0GHz - 1Gb/80GB; iPod (video)60Gb
I had an 8GB first gen iPhone and was always having to jig things around due to lack of space. With the addition of App Store and the ability of storing files using File Magnet, the 16GB 3G model was the only sensible choice for me. To be honest if a 32GB one came out in a years time, I'd upgrade in a flash (no pun intended).

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I was in the same boat on launch day, I couldn't get a 16GB as they were all reserved so I went for the eight. I decided to buy it out right with no contract. When the 32GB (and we all know it is coming) I will upgrade my contact to that.

But I find that my iphone is my phone and ipod is my ipod. Seems strange but when I know I will need an ipod I take it with me. If I am just popping to the shop or feel the need to listen to music and I don't have the ipod I crack out the iphone.

If the iphone is going to be your main portable music device then get the 16GB or wait for the 32GB. If it is going to be a phone first and a back up ipod, get the 8GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Minis, iPhone 6/5S, iMac, Mac Book Pro
Plan ahead and wait for the 16

From my personal experience, every time I had the opportunity to choose something faster, more powerful, better equipped, etc. and went instead with a lesser model, I was ALWAYS dissatisfied in the end. So, I chose both models for my wife and me; the black 16 and a black 8. I doubt I will ever fill either up, but at least I have myself well positioned for whatever comes my way in the future. Maybe some developer will build an app that requires a lot of space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.