Syncronisation Problems - Switching from a PC to a Mac!

Reaction score
Hi All,

So, here it is! I am a PC user, but I have been persuaded to move to Macs. The problem is to do with my documents and files on my home computers.

I have a system (as I like to call it) on my Windows PC’s so that I have user accounts for my family on each computer in the house, then each ‘My Documents’ folder is linked to a network folder on a PC which is acting as a server.

So whatever computer you go on, you can access all of your documents. It doesn’t quite work with email and things like that but I do all of that on one machine.

I am planning on buying a Macbook in the next few days but and starting to wonder how I will go about keeping my data.

Currently on my Windows ‘Server’ I have 3 partitions set up, one for Windows, one called Media and one call Documents.

The two partitions, Media and Documents are shared as folders across our network. So, on my desktop I have a link to the Media partition’s folder. This links to over 5000 photos and all my movies.

So one of my questions is how can I keep all of that data on my Macbook ( the Media partition) and then when I get home, it will update it with the new data on the Media partition ( if I have changed anything) I currently use a power toy on windows called ‘Synctoy’ which will synchronise data across 2 folders and location. I am thinking about using this but I don’t know how a Windows PC will see a Mac, and how I can integrate the Mac with the PC.

And my second question is how I go about my Documents. I would like to have then on my Macbook at all times, and when I am at home using the Windows PC my Macbook will be with me, or at least in the house.

So basically this is Synchronisation madness. Please ask me for other details you may need to know. I’m sure I could work this out in the long run but I have never used a Mac before so I am completely unfamiliar with the features and how things work.

I realise (or think at least) that this is going to be a challenge and may require third party software.

Thanks in advance for all your help

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.