Can't boot, No Disk utility, OSX 10.3 HELP!!!

Reaction score
Gday guys - I am new to Mac & setting up my mum & dad and a few other people as well. Totally green with Mac but had enough of MS. I have a brand new Macbook pro on it's way with all the fruit - but until then setting up ibooks...

One machine froze while downloading - mum turned it off & then it wouldn't reboot. So dad formatted the HDD & who knows what else!

I have tried to re-install 10.3 but it freezes on the second screen. (ie before the legal agreement)

Any suggestions? I reset PRAM & PRU but didn't help - is this a hdd / ram issue?
When I try to use Disk Utility it freezes and says "gathering system info" but that is it - it won't pull up and drives to erase etc...

And advice would be appreciated
Adam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
First question are the CD's full retail versions or did they come with the iBook? Install CDs from one machine will only work with that particular model and no other.

Reaction score
First question are the CD's full retail versions or did they come with the iBook? Install CDs from one machine will only work with that particular model and no other.

Not entirely true - I have a copy of Mac OS 9 for a G4 tower and it works just fine on the original iMac G3. It gives me an error about a specific piece of hardware that the computer doesn't have, but I can skip it and the rest of the install goes smoothly.;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Not entirely true - I have a copy of Mac OS 9 for a G4 tower and it works just fine on the original iMac G3. It gives me an error about a specific piece of hardware that the computer doesn't have, but I can skip it and the rest of the install goes smoothly.;)

Some os 9 CDs will work, but not OS X Cds

anyhow, the ibook, Try opening her up and re-seat the ram and hard disk cables.

Give the install CD a good clean and have another go

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.